With Syracuse less than a week away from kickoff, The Juice Online will be doing its annual week-long football preview. Check back in tomorrow as Jim Stechschulte gives his overall outlook and predictions.
For the second straight campaign, the Orange open with three consecutive home contests, including a Friday night debut against an FCS team. The second game of the season, when #23 Louisville comes to the Carrier Dome, will be the unveiling of Dino Babers’ new offense at SU in front of a national television audience. That third game is a revenge opportunity for Syracuse, as they lost at USF last season. The game against the Bulls will also be a contest against a team that is on a same general level as the Orange, but has very good athleticism. It could be the bellwether for the rest of the year.
Three straight games away from the Carrier Dome follows that opening stretch, including the first of three games against preseason top-ten teams. Notre Dame is that first top-ten team, as the Irish enter the season ranked #9 in the country. The other two games in that stretch classify as winnable, even for a team working in new systems on both sides of the ball.
The back half of the season is not easy, highlighted by a trip to #2 Clemson and a visit from #4 Florida State in a three-week span. Syracuse was game against the Tigers last year at home, but a trip south is a different story. The trip to Boston College is one of the easier ACC matchups, as the Orange defeated a punchless BC team to close 2015. Games with Virginia Tech, North Carolina State, and Pitt will show how far the SU offense has come over the course of the season.
|Fri, Sep 2||7:00pm||COLGATE||ESPN3|
|Fri, Sep 9||8:00pm||LOUISVILLE||ESPN2|
|Sat, Sep 17||3:30pm||SOUTH FLORIDA||ESPN3|
|Sat, Sep 24||TBD||at Connecticut||TBD|
|Sat, Oct 1||TBD||vs Notre Dame (East Rutherford NJ)||TBD|
|Sat, Oct 8||TBD||at Wake Forest||TBD|
|Sat, Oct 15||TBD||VIRGINIA TECH||TBD|
|Sat, Oct 22||TBD||at Boston College||TBD|
|Sat, Nov 5||TBD||at Clemson||TBD|
|Sat, Nov 12||TBD||NORTH CAROLINA STATE||TBD|
|Sat, Nov 19||TBD||FLORIDA STATE||TBD|
|Sat, Nov 26||TBD||at Pittsburgh||TBD|
- Syracuse Rallies, But Falls Short at Miami - October 22, 2017
- No Matter the Appearance, Jim Boeheim Remains the Same - October 21, 2017
- Syracuse football showing improvement in all three phases - October 16, 2017
- Syracuse football pulls off epic upset, toppling No. 2 Clemson - October 14, 2017
- Tale of the talent tape: Clemson vs. (10 years of) Syracuse football - October 12, 2017
- For Syracuse, a slow start, but a good ending against Pittsburgh - October 8, 2017
- Dino Babers is not a magician, Syracuse football still needs time - October 2, 2017
- Penalties prove costly as Syracuse football loses to NC State - October 1, 2017
- How does Syracuse football compare to last year through four games? - September 29, 2017
- Syracuse football shows some spirit but still loses to LSU - September 24, 2017