As we countdown to kickoff in September, we’re going to be doing a team-by-team preview each week over the summer. SU will begin its 2016 ACC schedule when it hosts Louisville on Sept. 9.
RISING POWER: In recent memory, the ACC Atlantic Division has been dominated by two teams: Florida State and Clemson. But this season, Louisville is angling to crash the two-team party. Its ACC Coastal opponents consist of Duke and Virginia, and its non-conference schedule of Charlotte, Marshall, Kentucky and Houston—all winnable games. A September 17 date with Florida State at home could be the key game to a double-digit win season, especially with 16 returning starters.
WHO TO WATCH FOR: When we did our annual team-by-team preview last summer, we noted that Louisville was allowing all five of its scholarship quarterbacks to compete for the starting position. That is not the case this summer, with true sophomore Lamar Jackson cementing himself as the starter. In his rookie season, he threw for 1840 yards and 12 touchdowns, and ran for 960 more on the ground with 11 touchdowns. Jackson enters the season as one of the top quarterbacks in the ACC. Jackson will be throwing to Jamari Staples, who emerged as the Cardinals’ best deep threat, hauling down a remarkable 17.2 yards per catch to go with three touchdowns. On defense, linebackers Devonte Fields and Keith Kelsey will lead a stingy defense that allowed just 332.8 yards per game last season, 18th in the NCAA.
PREDICTION: Louisville gained an unsightly 579 yards last season against SU’s beleaguered defense to rout the Orange, 41-17, in 2015. While the margin shouldn’t be as pronounced this year, the result will be the same. LOUISVILLE 35, SYRACUSE 17.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017