Syracuse got the performance it needed on Saturday afternoon in a 13-7 win over North Carolina.
The win moved the Orange to 7-4 overall, and 2-2 in the ACC after it had dropped a disappointing game to Cornell earlier in the week. It also secures the Orange a spot in the four-team ACC Championship.
After Michael Tagliaferri knotted the game at 2-2 with 6:37 left in the first quarter, the Orange reeled off six unanswered goals to take a 8-2 lead into halftime. Dylan Donahue and Sergio Salcido were the catalysts behind the run, each notching a goal and two assists.
The Tar Heels made things interesting in the second half, going on a 5-1 run to pull within 9-7 early in the fourth quarter. But Jordan Evans stopped UNC’s momentum with an unassisted goal, and the Orange would tack on three more in the fourth quarter.
Salicido and Nick Mariano each finished with a hat trick for the range, while Tagliaferri finished with four goals. Ben Williams won 16 of 24 at the X, which led to the Orange dominating in the shots department, 39-24. Goalie Evan Molloy added nine saves.
Syracuse will play its final regular season game on Wednesday when it hosts Binghamton at 7 p.m. at the Carrier Dome. The game will be televised on ESPN3 and Time Warner Cable Sports.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017