Ryan Matthews scored with 1:23 left in overtime as Cornell defeated Syracuse 10-9 on Tuesday evening.
Nick Mariano’s fourth goal of the game gave the Orange a 9-8 advantage with 8:01 left in regulation, but 15 seconds later, Dan Bockelman scored the equalizer on a feed from Colton Rupp.
Mariano had a chance to gave SU the lead back with 1:54 remaining, but his shot was stymied by Brennan Donville (13 saves). Cornell cleared and ran down the clock for Clarke Petterson to take the final shot. But with six seconds left, Evan Molloy saved the potential game-winning goal.
Syracuse never trailed until the final goal, though its biggest lead of the game was only two.
Ben Williams was spectacular at the X, winning 18 of 22 faceoffs, leading to the Orange to outshoot Cornell by 12.
Dylan Donahue added two goals while Petterson led the Big Red with a hat trick.
Syracuse returns home to face North Carolina on Saturday at 4 p.m. at the Carrier Dome in its ACC regular season finale. It will be televised on ESPNU.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017