Wilkins Dismuke finished what Drew Supinski started.
After Supinski fired a shot that was initially saved by Syracuse goalie Warren Hill, Dismuke rebounded and dumped the ball past Hill two minutes into overtime, propelling Johns Hopkins past Syracuse 11-10 on a wet, cold Saturday evening in Baltimore.
It was Syracuse’s first loss on the season, and John Hopkins’ third straight win.
The Orange had control in the first half, amassing a four-goal lead, taking a 7-4 advantage into halftime. But the Blue Jays rallied out of halftime, scoring the equalizer with 23 seconds left in the third quarter.
John Hopkins was able to rally in part because of Syracuse’s sloppy play. After turning the ball over just eight times against the Red Storm last week, the Orange played uncharacteristically loose with the ball, coughing it up 14 times on the day.
Ben Williams also uncharacteristically struggled at the X in the second half. Though SU finished up in the category 13-11, Williams lost five out of the game’s final seven faceoffs. That led to the Orange not having possession at the end of regulation or in the three minutes of overtime.
Nick Mariano recorded his third straight hat trick to lead the Orange offensive attack. Cody Radziewicz notched his own hat trick for Johns Hopkins.
Syracuse returns to action on Saturday at noon, when it travels to Durham to face Duke. The game will be televised on ESPNU.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017