Syracuse locked up a 10 seed in the 2016 NCAA Tournament, and will meet Dayton in what is a rematch of the 2014 tourney. Here is a quick look at the matchup:
NOT SINCE THE 60s: When Dayton was named the seventh seed in the Midwest Region on Sunday night, it was the first time since 1965-67 that the Flyers had made three straight NCAA Tournament appearances. Of course, Syracuse fans know what happened in 2014, when the Flyers upset the Orange to advance to the Sweet 16. Last season, Dayton was eliminated by Oklahoma in the round of 32. They’re back in it again after a 25-7 overall season, and a share of the Atlantic 10 regular season title after a 14-4 conference campaign.
SCOUTING THE FLYERS: There are four players on the Dayton roster that were on the team that upset the Orange in 2013, starting with junior guard Scoochie Smith. You may remember Smith scoring five key points down the stretch, to go along with three assists. He’s third on the team in scoring this season with 11.7 points per game. Wing Dyshawn Pierre lead Dayton with 14 points in the win over Syracuse, and he’s second on the team in scoring at 13.0 ppg. The other two players that are holdovers are Kendall Pollard (10.6 ppg) and Kyle Davis (7.9).
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: These two teams have only met each other three times in school history, with the the Flyers holding a 2-1 series advantage. As mentioned earlier, the last time these two teams met was in the 2014 NCAA Tournament with Dayton upsetting the Orange 55-53 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. Michael Gbinije, only a sophomore at the time, scored eight points for the Orange in what was Tyler Ennis’ last game in an SU uniform.
GAME INFORMATION: Friday, March 28 at 12:15 p.m. in St. Louis. TV: CBS.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017