A quick take on Syracuse’s gutsy effort in an 84-73 loss against No. 6 North Carolina on Saturday evening, in front of 26,811 the largest crowd of the season at the Carrier Dome:
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse (10-7, 0-4) dropped its fourth straight ACC game out of the gate, the first time that’s happened since the 1996-97 Big East season (but that wasn’t four consecutive defeats), in falling short of knocking off the talented Tar Heels (15-2, 4-0). SU has never lost five consecutive games during the Jim Boeheim era, even as three of these current four straight defeats came under Mike Hopkins.
ANALYSIS: In a game that featured six ties and 16 leads changes, North Carolina finally pulled away from the SU upset bid over the final 5:00, getting the ball inside for easy baskets, or hitting free throws to ice the game away. Despite out rebounding the bigger and bulkier Tar Heels by two, and tightening up the zone against the Carolina outside shooting throughout the first 30 minutes, the Orange could not get enough offense of its own late to complete the upset bid. Spurred by Boeheim’s return from NCAA suspension, the ‘Cuse certainly played a better overall game against a more talented Top Ten team, but came up short of gaining its first conference victory.
HERO: Trevor Cooney was marvelous at both ends of the court in keeping SU in the game, highlighted by a game high 27 points, matching his career high, including five three point baskets, and he grabbed five boards. UNC’s Joel Berry II, Brice Johnson, and Justin Jackson hurt the Orange throughout with a combined 46 points.
ZERO: Orange guard Michael Gbinije struggled most of the night, not hitting a field goal until just over 3:00 to play, finishing with 10 points, although most came late in the game with the Heels in control.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse concludes an eight day, three game home stand facing Boston College Wed., Jan. 13 at the Dome. SU swept the two games with BC last season. The Eagles (7-8, 0-2) were blown out by Notre Dame 82-54 this past Thursday night, the 28 point margin representing the third-most lopsided home defeat BC’s been dealt since joining the ACC 11 years ago. Game Time: 7:00 p.m. ET / TV: ACCRSNs-ESPN3.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Colgate 58 - December 9, 2017
- Orange Watch: Winning on the road a continual lesson to learn for Syracuse basketball - December 5, 2017
- Orange Watch: The one opponent that will forever be linked with Syracuse basketball - December 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 14, Boston College 42 - November 25, 2017
- Orange Watch: No bowl game, but a season of growth for Syracuse football - November 24, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Cornell 45 - November 10, 2017
- Orange Watch: Revamped roster for Syracuse basketball will need time to bloom - November 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Seeking a ‘November to Remember’ for Syracuse Football - October 31, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse picked 10th in the ACC - October 26, 2017
- Orange Watch: Yearning for ACC football division reconfiguration - October 24, 2017