WHAT HAPPENED: Trailing 32-30 with 19:16 left, Syracuse went on a 11-0 run to take control of the game. The run was started by Trevor Cooney, who had gone just 1-8 from 3 in SU’s previous game against St. John’s, and had missed all four of his attempts in the first half. But the 3-pointer to open Syracuse’s scoring in the second half proved to be what he needed, as he would hit three consecutive 3-point attempts. The third of that trio was the impetus to another 11-0 run to give the Orange a 55-36 lead with 7:08 to go.
ANALYSIS: In a rare feat, the Orange dominated in the rebounding category, with a +21 margin on the boards, including 17 offensive rebounds. But in a concerning sign, SU struggled again to shoot from downtown, shooting at a 7 for 21 (33 percent) clip. Still, that was an improved mark from the 5 of 24 shooting from 3 against the Red Storm last week.
HERO: Tyler Roberson finished with a double-double, with 15 points and 12 rebounds, including eight on the offensive end. Richardson, coming off a dreadful offensive performance against the Red Storm, shot an improved 5-11 from the field for 15 points.
ZERO: Robert Hatter, Cornell’s best deep shooter, went 1-6 from downtown, though he led the Big Red with 14 points. He came in shooting better than 43 percent from distance. Michael Gbinije, who came into the game shooting better than 50 percent from 3, finished just 2-9 from that range.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will host Montana State on Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Carrier Dome.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 99, Boston University 77 - December 10, 2016
- Coleman’s recent uptick could be Syracuse’s best since Christmas - December 7, 2016
- After loss to UConn, Syracuse’s Lydon vows to be more aggressive - December 6, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Connecticut 52 - December 5, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, North Florida 71 - December 3, 2016
- Two early season losses could be bad harbinger for Syracuse basketball - December 1, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 61, Pittsburgh 76 - November 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 101, South Carolina State 59 - November 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from Bourama Sidibe - November 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Monmouth 50 - November 18, 2016