WHAT HAPPENED: Trailing 32-30 with 19:16 left, Syracuse went on a 11-0 run to take control of the game. The run was started by Trevor Cooney, who had gone just 1-8 from 3 in SU’s previous game against St. John’s, and had missed all four of his attempts in the first half. But the 3-pointer to open Syracuse’s scoring in the second half proved to be what he needed, as he would hit three consecutive 3-point attempts. The third of that trio was the impetus to another 11-0 run to give the Orange a 55-36 lead with 7:08 to go.
ANALYSIS: In a rare feat, the Orange dominated in the rebounding category, with a +21 margin on the boards, including 17 offensive rebounds. But in a concerning sign, SU struggled again to shoot from downtown, shooting at a 7 for 21 (33 percent) clip. Still, that was an improved mark from the 5 of 24 shooting from 3 against the Red Storm last week.
HERO: Tyler Roberson finished with a double-double, with 15 points and 12 rebounds, including eight on the offensive end. Richardson, coming off a dreadful offensive performance against the Red Storm, shot an improved 5-11 from the field for 15 points.
ZERO: Robert Hatter, Cornell’s best deep shooter, went 1-6 from downtown, though he led the Big Red with 14 points. He came in shooting better than 43 percent from distance. Michael Gbinije, who came into the game shooting better than 50 percent from 3, finished just 2-9 from that range.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will host Montana State on Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Carrier Dome.
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Central Connecticut State 7 - September 1, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army crossing Final Four threshold builds momentum for 2018 - August 22, 2017
- Boston College Eagles — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 21, 2017
- Adelson: Syracuse football ‘will be better’ but bowl game may prove elusive - August 18, 2017
- Ervin Philips — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 16, 2017
- Louisville Cardinals — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 14, 2017
- Steve Ishmael — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 8, 2017