WHAT HAPPENED: Trailing 32-30 with 19:16 left, Syracuse went on a 11-0 run to take control of the game. The run was started by Trevor Cooney, who had gone just 1-8 from 3 in SU’s previous game against St. John’s, and had missed all four of his attempts in the first half. But the 3-pointer to open Syracuse’s scoring in the second half proved to be what he needed, as he would hit three consecutive 3-point attempts. The third of that trio was the impetus to another 11-0 run to give the Orange a 55-36 lead with 7:08 to go.
ANALYSIS: In a rare feat, the Orange dominated in the rebounding category, with a +21 margin on the boards, including 17 offensive rebounds. But in a concerning sign, SU struggled again to shoot from downtown, shooting at a 7 for 21 (33 percent) clip. Still, that was an improved mark from the 5 of 24 shooting from 3 against the Red Storm last week.
HERO: Tyler Roberson finished with a double-double, with 15 points and 12 rebounds, including eight on the offensive end. Richardson, coming off a dreadful offensive performance against the Red Storm, shot an improved 5-11 from the field for 15 points.
ZERO: Robert Hatter, Cornell’s best deep shooter, went 1-6 from downtown, though he led the Big Red with 14 points. He came in shooting better than 43 percent from distance. Michael Gbinije, who came into the game shooting better than 50 percent from 3, finished just 2-9 from that range.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will host Montana State on Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Carrier Dome.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016