WHAT HAPPENED: Trailing 32-30 with 19:16 left, Syracuse went on a 11-0 run to take control of the game. The run was started by Trevor Cooney, who had gone just 1-8 from 3 in SU’s previous game against St. John’s, and had missed all four of his attempts in the first half. But the 3-pointer to open Syracuse’s scoring in the second half proved to be what he needed, as he would hit three consecutive 3-point attempts. The third of that trio was the impetus to another 11-0 run to give the Orange a 55-36 lead with 7:08 to go.
ANALYSIS: In a rare feat, the Orange dominated in the rebounding category, with a +21 margin on the boards, including 17 offensive rebounds. But in a concerning sign, SU struggled again to shoot from downtown, shooting at a 7 for 21 (33 percent) clip. Still, that was an improved mark from the 5 of 24 shooting from 3 against the Red Storm last week.
HERO: Tyler Roberson finished with a double-double, with 15 points and 12 rebounds, including eight on the offensive end. Richardson, coming off a dreadful offensive performance against the Red Storm, shot an improved 5-11 from the field for 15 points.
ZERO: Robert Hatter, Cornell’s best deep shooter, went 1-6 from downtown, though he led the Big Red with 14 points. He came in shooting better than 43 percent from distance. Michael Gbinije, who came into the game shooting better than 50 percent from 3, finished just 2-9 from that range.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will host Montana State on Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Carrier Dome.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017