WHAT HAPPENED: Trailing 32-30 with 19:16 left, Syracuse went on a 11-0 run to take control of the game. The run was started by Trevor Cooney, who had gone just 1-8 from 3 in SU’s previous game against St. John’s, and had missed all four of his attempts in the first half. But the 3-pointer to open Syracuse’s scoring in the second half proved to be what he needed, as he would hit three consecutive 3-point attempts. The third of that trio was the impetus to another 11-0 run to give the Orange a 55-36 lead with 7:08 to go.
ANALYSIS: In a rare feat, the Orange dominated in the rebounding category, with a +21 margin on the boards, including 17 offensive rebounds. But in a concerning sign, SU struggled again to shoot from downtown, shooting at a 7 for 21 (33 percent) clip. Still, that was an improved mark from the 5 of 24 shooting from 3 against the Red Storm last week.
HERO: Tyler Roberson finished with a double-double, with 15 points and 12 rebounds, including eight on the offensive end. Richardson, coming off a dreadful offensive performance against the Red Storm, shot an improved 5-11 from the field for 15 points.
ZERO: Robert Hatter, Cornell’s best deep shooter, went 1-6 from downtown, though he led the Big Red with 14 points. He came in shooting better than 43 percent from distance. Michael Gbinije, who came into the game shooting better than 50 percent from 3, finished just 2-9 from that range.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will host Montana State on Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Carrier Dome.
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Chris Carlson on the NIT, 2017 basketball recruiting, Greensboro - March 17, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, UNC Greensboro 77 - March 15, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse basketball left out of NCAA Tournament - March 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse surges, sputters, then hangs on for win against St. John’s - March 12, 2017
- Jim Boeheim pleads case for Syracuse after ACC Tournament loss - March 9, 2017
- Syracuse coach says there’s ‘no value’ in playing ACC Tournament in Greensboro - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, Miami 62 - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, Georgia Tech 61 - March 4, 2017