A quick take on Syracuse’s 78-51 win over Colgate on Tuesday evening at the Carrier Dome to halt a mini two-game losing streak:
WHAT HAPPENED: An 11-0 run for Syracuse early in the first half turned an 8-6 deficit into an 17-8 lead with 12:42 left in the first half. The Orange built on its 11-point halftime lead with an 8-0 run to begin the second half, led by a pair of 3s from Trevor Cooney and Michael Gbinije. That allowed SU to take a commanding 54-31 lead with 12:59 left in what was Syracuse’s most lopsided win of the season.
ANALYSIS: A game after Syracuse shot a ghastly 7-24 from beyond the arc, the Orange regained its shooting touch against a badly outmatched Colgate team. SU was a torrid 14-30 from downtown, getting at least a pair of 3s from Malachi Richardson, Tyler Lydon, Michael Gbinije and Trevor Cooney. On the other hand, Syracuse continues to struggle on the boards, with the smaller Raiders holding a +2 edge and while also adding 14 offensive rebounds.
HERO: SU’s starting backcourt of Gbinije and Cooney combined for 31 points on 8 of 16 shooting from downtown. Richardson added a career-high 17 points and five rebounds. The game was also acting head coach Mike Hopkins’ first career win.
ZERO: Colgate predictably struggled against SU’s zone, coughing up the ball 19 times, while shooting 34 percent from the field.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse, fresh off facing former Big East rival Georgetown, will now travel down to New York City to take on another rival from its old conference, St. John’s. The game will be at Madison Square Garden on Sunday at noon. TV: Fox Sports 1.
- Recruiting Roundup: Marek Dolezaj to Syracuse, Meechi Harris narrows list to nine - May 24, 2017
- 2017 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon - May 23, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Tournament: A look at Syracuse lacrosse’s first round matchup against Yale - May 11, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse will finish off regular season with trip to Colgate - May 5, 2017