A quick take on Syracuse’s 78-51 win over Colgate on Tuesday evening at the Carrier Dome to halt a mini two-game losing streak:
WHAT HAPPENED: An 11-0 run for Syracuse early in the first half turned an 8-6 deficit into an 17-8 lead with 12:42 left in the first half. The Orange built on its 11-point halftime lead with an 8-0 run to begin the second half, led by a pair of 3s from Trevor Cooney and Michael Gbinije. That allowed SU to take a commanding 54-31 lead with 12:59 left in what was Syracuse’s most lopsided win of the season.
ANALYSIS: A game after Syracuse shot a ghastly 7-24 from beyond the arc, the Orange regained its shooting touch against a badly outmatched Colgate team. SU was a torrid 14-30 from downtown, getting at least a pair of 3s from Malachi Richardson, Tyler Lydon, Michael Gbinije and Trevor Cooney. On the other hand, Syracuse continues to struggle on the boards, with the smaller Raiders holding a +2 edge and while also adding 14 offensive rebounds.
HERO: SU’s starting backcourt of Gbinije and Cooney combined for 31 points on 8 of 16 shooting from downtown. Richardson added a career-high 17 points and five rebounds. The game was also acting head coach Mike Hopkins’ first career win.
ZERO: Colgate predictably struggled against SU’s zone, coughing up the ball 19 times, while shooting 34 percent from the field.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse, fresh off facing former Big East rival Georgetown, will now travel down to New York City to take on another rival from its old conference, St. John’s. The game will be at Madison Square Garden on Sunday at noon. TV: Fox Sports 1.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016