Congratulations to the SU men’s soccer team, who punched a ticket to the College Cup over the weekend with a win over Boston College. That could make three teams (cross country and field hockey) who win national championships this fall. On to today’s recruiting links…
As you know, Syracuse hired Dino Babers as its 30th head coach over the weekend. As a result, some Bowling Green commits may flip. Three-star 2016 Dunbar (Ohio) wide receiver Terrance Landers is currently committed to Bowling Green, but would consider following Babers to Syracuse if offered, he tells Scout.com’s Mike McAllister. He also holds offers from Iowa, Pitt, Purdue and Western Michigan, among others.
The Daily Orange’s Paul Schwedelson was in touch with several Syracuse recruits, who were pleased with the hire. “Just can’t wait to meet (Babers) and get this thing started,” said hybrid back commit Moe Neal. “I’m pretty excited, he’s a great coach with a great track record and I think he can bring some excitement,” said 2016 linebacker Taylor Riggins.
Quarterback commit Rex Culpepper also liked the move. “(Babers has) been successful. You like to see a successful head coach, not just an offensive guy,” Culpepper’s father told Syracuse.com’s Stephen Bailey. Said 2016 OL Cam DeGeorge: “I’m pretty pumped.”
Clairton (Pa.) High’s Aaron Mathews says to Scout.com’s Brian Dohn that he’s leaning toward Pittsburgh, and has set an official visit in the middle of January. Mathews also tells Dohn that he is considering West Virginia and North Carolina State. Syracuse has also recruited Mathews.
247 Sports’ Luke Stampini writes that Florida linebacker coach Randy Shannon will visit Miami (Fla.) Norland linebacker Vosean Joseph this week. Joseph committed to Florida in February, but Syracuse’s previous coaching staff had been in touch with him, and he took a visit to SU for the Clemson game. He’s also visited West Virginia.
That’s it for today. Coach Babers has a new Twitter feed, so make sure to give him a follow. Have a great start to your week, everyone.
- McAnaney: Syracuse lacrosse a tough out because it is ‘battle tested’ - April 28, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse finds familiar result in one-goal win against Binghamton - April 22, 2017
- Syracuse stumbles out of the gate, but rallies to defeat North Carolina - April 16, 2017
- Mettus: Syracuse lacrosse ‘the team to beat’ right now - April 14, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse flexes its muscles, pushing past Cornell - April 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse enjoys rare rout, easily dispatching Hobart - April 6, 2017
- 2016-17 Syracuse basketball report card - April 3, 2017
- An early look at the 2017-18 Syracuse basketball team - March 31, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017