The NCAA on Thursday announced that it has rejected Jim Boeheim’s appeal of his nine game suspension following its lengthy investigation into Syracuse athletics that was released last March, but ruled that the SU coach can begin the suspension immediately.
That means Boeheim will not be on the sideline Saturday when the Orange resume their longtime rivalry with Georgetown at the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C. (1:00 ET / FOX), and will miss the subsequent eight games before the Orange host North Carolina on Jan. 9.
Assistant coach, and Boeheim successor, Mike Hopkins will make his interim head coaching debut against the Hoyas, as SU meets its one time fierce Big East rival for the first time since 2013.
In a statement released by Boeheim’s legal counsel, Dinsmore & Shohl LLP, the SU coach again took issue with the NCAA’s action.
“Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed with the NCAA infractions Appeal Committee’s decision, and in particular, the NCAA Infractions Appeals Committee giving us only two days to make this transition when the appeal was argued weeks ago,” Boeheim said.
“However, I have full faith in the ability of Coach Hopkins, my staff, and our seniors to lead the Men’s Basketball Program through this difficult time, and I look forward to returning to the bench on January 9 against the University of North Carolina.”
SU is now 6-1 after dropping its first game of the season 66-58 in overtime against Wisconsin Wednesday in the Dome.
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball has rich history of first round NBA Draft selections - June 20, 2017
- Orange Watch: Another first in legendary career of Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim - June 13, 2017
- Orange Watch: Getting clear idea of future Syracuse football scheduling philosophy - June 6, 2017
- Orange Watch: It’s time to tweak a couple of rules in Division I men’s lacrosse - June 1, 2017
- Orange Watch: New early signing period huge change for Syracuse football recruiting - May 30, 2017
- Orange Watch: A refreshing of the roster for 2017-18 Syracuse basketball - May 25, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 7, Towson 10 - May 21, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse lacrosse would simply like to get back to Final Four - May 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: For Syracuse football, no NFL draft selections is practically blasphemous - May 2, 2017
- Orange Watch: What’s in a name? Rare similarity for two Syracuse football players - April 25, 2017