The NCAA on Thursday announced that it has rejected Jim Boeheim’s appeal of his nine game suspension following its lengthy investigation into Syracuse athletics that was released last March, but ruled that the SU coach can begin the suspension immediately.
That means Boeheim will not be on the sideline Saturday when the Orange resume their longtime rivalry with Georgetown at the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C. (1:00 ET / FOX), and will miss the subsequent eight games before the Orange host North Carolina on Jan. 9.
Assistant coach, and Boeheim successor, Mike Hopkins will make his interim head coaching debut against the Hoyas, as SU meets its one time fierce Big East rival for the first time since 2013.
In a statement released by Boeheim’s legal counsel, Dinsmore & Shohl LLP, the SU coach again took issue with the NCAA’s action.
“Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed with the NCAA infractions Appeal Committee’s decision, and in particular, the NCAA Infractions Appeals Committee giving us only two days to make this transition when the appeal was argued weeks ago,” Boeheim said.
“However, I have full faith in the ability of Coach Hopkins, my staff, and our seniors to lead the Men’s Basketball Program through this difficult time, and I look forward to returning to the bench on January 9 against the University of North Carolina.”
SU is now 6-1 after dropping its first game of the season 66-58 in overtime against Wisconsin Wednesday in the Dome.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Cornell 45 - November 10, 2017
- Orange Watch: Revamped roster for Syracuse basketball will need time to bloom - November 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Seeking a ‘November to Remember’ for Syracuse Football - October 31, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse picked 10th in the ACC - October 26, 2017
- Orange Watch: Yearning for ACC football division reconfiguration - October 24, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Miami 27 - October 21, 2017
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017