A quick take on Syracuse’s first of three games in three days at the Bahamas in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament, opening up with an impressive 83-70 win against Charlotte Wednesday afternoon inside the Imperial Ballroom at the Atlantis resort:
WHAT HAPPENED: On a day in which the basketball program learned the NCAA had restored one scholarship per season over the next four years in response to its earlier appeal, Syracuse (4-0) shot its way past Charlotte (1-3) to move on to the semifinals Thurs. afternoon. Up 50-27 after a scorching first half of 50% plus shooting, SU saw the 49ers make an early second half run, before the Orange went back up comfortably to eventually hold on to win by 13.
ANALYSIS: Besides torrid outside shooting from inside and outside the arc (50%), the Orange ran in transition off great defense (12 blocks) to run past the 49ers. As will be the case all year, the offense will go as far as the outside shooting takes it, while the more active the zone, the more offensive opportunities will be created, which was evidenced in the victory.
HEROES: Michael Gbinije was fabulous shooting the ball (9 of 11) finishing with 26 points and five assists, three rebounds, two blocks and a steal. Tyler Lydon was all over the court coming off the bench to score 18 points, eight rebounds, five blocks and two steals.
ZERO: Free throw shooting (5 of 10), double digit turnovers (13) and a slow first two and a half minutes of the second half when Charlotte went on a 10-0 run are nit-picking in what was an overall solid team effort on both ends from the first eight Orange players in Boeheim’s rotation.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse continues Thursday in the Battle 4 Atlantis semifinals with a Thanksgiving matinee against No. 18 Connecticut (4-0). The Huskies downed Michigan 74-60 in the late Wed, game, so UConn has a quick turnaround to face the more rested Orange. Game time: 3:30 p.m. ET / TV: ESPN.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Cornell 45 - November 10, 2017
- Orange Watch: Revamped roster for Syracuse basketball will need time to bloom - November 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Seeking a ‘November to Remember’ for Syracuse Football - October 31, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse picked 10th in the ACC - October 26, 2017
- Orange Watch: Yearning for ACC football division reconfiguration - October 24, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Miami 27 - October 21, 2017
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017