Syracuse head football coach Scott Shafer has been dismissed, the University announced Monday morning. Shafer will coach SU’s final game of the season against Boston College on Saturday.
Syracuse lost its eighth straight game over the weekend against NC State 42-29, dropping it to 3-8 on the season. The Orange went 3-9 last year under Shafer a year after winning the Texas Bowl.
“I want to thank Scott, his wife Missy, and their family for their seven years of dedication and service to SU Athletics and Syracuse University,” Syracuse athletics director Mark Coyle said in a statement. “Scott has worked tirelessly to educate our students on and off the field and to build our program. However, I feel a change in leadership is needed at this time. A national search will begin immediately.”
It was the first major move for Athletics Director Mark Coyle, who came over from Boise State earlier in the year. Coyle’s goal in his introductory press conference was to have SU compete for the ACC Championship and elite bowl games. It became clear to Coyle quickly that Shafer was not the coach to lead Syracuse to that territory.
Shafer took over as head coach in 2013 following the departure of Doug Marrone to the NFL’s Buffalo Bills. Shafer served as the defensive coordinator under Marrone, and coached the defense to be one of the better units in the NCAA.
But this season, the Orange faltered with a young defense, and ranked at the bottom of the ACC in most major statistical categories.
Candidates to replace Shafer include Coastal Carolina coach Joe Moglia, Oregon offensive coordinator Scott Frost and Bowling Green coach Dino Babers.
This story was first reported by Sports Illustrated.
- Two early season losses could be bad harbinger for Syracuse basketball - December 1, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 61, Pittsburgh 76 - November 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 101, South Carolina State 59 - November 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from Bourama Sidibe - November 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Monmouth 50 - November 18, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Quade Green between Syracuse, Kentucky; Lonnie Walker to Miami - November 17, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 Syracuse target Bourama Sidibe to announce Monday - November 16, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, Holy Cross 46 - November 15, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Oshae Brissett commits as Quade Green visits - November 14, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 83, Colgate 55 - November 11, 2016