Syracuse travels down south to take on No. 17 Florida State on Saturday. Here’s a quick look at the game:
SHOCKING LOSS: It’s been dubbed “Kick Six: The Sequel.” With 6 seconds remaining in Saturday’s matchup between Florida State and Georgia Tech, the Seminoles’ Roberto Aguayo (perhaps the best kicker in the country) attempted a 56-yard field goal to give FSU the win. But Patrick Gamble blocked the kick and Lance Austin scooped up the loose ball and rumbled 78-yards for the game winning score. “He happened to be in the right place at the right time and made a great play by picking the ball up and running it back,” GT head coach Paul Johnson said. It was a rare regular season loss for Florida State, whose playoff hopes are in jeopardy, but still alive. “You can get in with one loss, that’s been proven,” FSU head coach Jimbo Fisher said.
SCOUTING THE SEMINOLES: Notre Dame transfer quarterback Everett Golson has been solid, but not spectacular, in his first season under center with the ‘Noles. On the plus side, Golson has thrown for 11 touchdowns to just one interception (though that one interception was a costly turnover against GT). But Golson has also struggled in the red zone, where he is completing under 50 percent of his passes. But Syracuse catches a break, with Dalvin Cook out with an ankle injury. Cook powered the FSU offense with over 1,000 yards and 11 touchdowns this season. On defense, Jalen Ramsey is one of the elite defensive backs in the country. The 2014 All-American was named a semifinalist for the Jim Thrope Award, and leads the Seminoles in pass breakups (8) and is fifth on the team in tackles (25).
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Florida State leads the overall series 7-1. The last time these two teams met was in the 2014 season, with the ‘Noles winning 38-20. FSU quarterback Jameis Winston completed 30 of 36 passes for 317 yards and three TDs. AJ Long threw for 167 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Oct. 31 at 12 p.m. in Tallahassee, Fl. TV: ABC.
- Breaking down Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon’s selection by the Denver Nuggets - June 23, 2017
- Former Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon selected by Denver Nuggets in NBA Draft - June 22, 2017
- Central Michigan Chippewas — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 22, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse receives commitment from OL Will Froumy - June 21, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Cole Swider to visit Syracuse, Anthony Queeley commits - June 19, 2017
- Antwan Cordy — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - June 14, 2017
- Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 12, 2017
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands USF transfer Geno Thorpe - June 12, 2017
- Breaking down Syracuse forwards Tyler Lydon, Andrew White with NBA scout - June 9, 2017
- Central Connecticut State Blue Devils — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 7, 2017