Syracuse travels to Virginia this Saturday to play the Cavaliers. Here’s a quick look at the game:
FINALLY, A TURNOVER: Virginia may have fell to 1-4 with a 26-19 loss to Pitt on Saturday, but at the very least, the Cavaliers got one moral victory from the game: A turnover. Virginia had gone its first four games without a turnover, but finally got a takeaway in the second quarter. With 10:42 left in the first half, linebacker Mike Moore sacked QB Nate Peterman, jarring the ball loose. It was scooped up by DT Kwontie Moore, who rumbled in 15 yards for the touchdown. Virginia also held the Panthers to just 363 total cards, and only 149 in the final three quarters of the game. “We did an excellent job of defending them,” head coach Mike London said.
SCOUTING THE CAVALIERS: Virginia quarterback Matt Johns played well in the Cavs’ 34-27 loss to Notre Dame in Week 2, throwing for 289 yards on 26-38 passing and a pair of touchdowns. More importantly, he didn’t throw an interception. But that hasn’t been the case in the last three games, where he’s combined for six interceptions. “There are some things that he had done that gives us faith,” London said after the Pitt loss. “There are some positive things but obviously you want the positive things to really matter on the field with the W.” Middle linebacker Micah Kiser leads the defense with 50 total tackles, and eight tackles for loss. He also leads the Cavs with 4.5 sacks.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: This will be the first time the two teams have met as conference opponents. The teams last played in 2005, with the Cavaliers winning 27-24. Damien Rhodes had 109 all-purpose yards to lead the Orange. The all-time series is even at two games.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Oct. 17 at 3:30 p.m. in Charlottesville, Virginia. TV: RSN.
- Adelson: Syracuse football ‘will be better’ but bowl game may prove elusive - August 18, 2017
- Ervin Philips — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 16, 2017
- Louisville Cardinals — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 14, 2017
- Steve Ishmael — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 8, 2017
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 7, 2017
- Moe Neal — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Boeheim’s Army 77, Overseas Elite 81 - August 2, 2017
- Miami Hurricanes — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 31, 2017
- Boeheim’s Army GM: Team FOE was ‘rattled’ by pro-Syracuse crowd - July 28, 2017
- Clemson Tigers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 25, 2017