Syracuse travels to Virginia this Saturday to play the Cavaliers. Here’s a quick look at the game:
FINALLY, A TURNOVER: Virginia may have fell to 1-4 with a 26-19 loss to Pitt on Saturday, but at the very least, the Cavaliers got one moral victory from the game: A turnover. Virginia had gone its first four games without a turnover, but finally got a takeaway in the second quarter. With 10:42 left in the first half, linebacker Mike Moore sacked QB Nate Peterman, jarring the ball loose. It was scooped up by DT Kwontie Moore, who rumbled in 15 yards for the touchdown. Virginia also held the Panthers to just 363 total cards, and only 149 in the final three quarters of the game. “We did an excellent job of defending them,” head coach Mike London said.
SCOUTING THE CAVALIERS: Virginia quarterback Matt Johns played well in the Cavs’ 34-27 loss to Notre Dame in Week 2, throwing for 289 yards on 26-38 passing and a pair of touchdowns. More importantly, he didn’t throw an interception. But that hasn’t been the case in the last three games, where he’s combined for six interceptions. “There are some things that he had done that gives us faith,” London said after the Pitt loss. “There are some positive things but obviously you want the positive things to really matter on the field with the W.” Middle linebacker Micah Kiser leads the defense with 50 total tackles, and eight tackles for loss. He also leads the Cavs with 4.5 sacks.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: This will be the first time the two teams have met as conference opponents. The teams last played in 2005, with the Cavaliers winning 27-24. Damien Rhodes had 109 all-purpose yards to lead the Orange. The all-time series is even at two games.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Oct. 17 at 3:30 p.m. in Charlottesville, Virginia. TV: RSN.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016