Last month’s announcement that four former Syracuse football standouts, 2015 finalist Marvin Harrison (1992-95), along with Gary Anderson (1978-79, 1980-81), Daryl Johnston (1985-88) and in his first year of eligibility, Keith Bulluck (1996-99), were among the 108 modern day players for the 2016 class of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, serves a reminder that if indeed Harrison is elected in his third year on the ballot, Syracuse will join select company.
Following the Hall inclusion of wide receivers Andre Reed and Tim Brown the last two years to unlock a long logjam at the position, the consensus is that Harrison, the reclusive ex-Orange star and record-setting Indianapolis Colts great receiver, gets over the voting finish line this year for his inevitable enshrinement, and would become the eighth Syracuse member in Canton joining Jim Brown (1971), Jim Ringo (1981), Larry Csonka (1987), John Mackey (1992), Al Davis (1992), Art Monk (2008), and Floyd Little (2010).
Only five other schools currently have eight or more Hall inductees, Notre Dame and Southern California with 12 each, Ohio State with nine, then Michigan and Pittsburgh also with eight (Alabama like SU currently has seven). That would be pretty impressive company among the biggest name schools in the sport’s history.
Besides the four SU nominees this year, other former Syracuse players likely to receive future Hall consideration are Donovan McNabb (1995-98), who officially retired from the NFL in 2013, and Dwight Freeney (1998-99, 2000-01), who’s unsigned after completing his 13th NFL season with San Diego last year.
The 2016 nominees will be paired down to 25 in November, then to 15 in January, before the voting results are announced Feb. 6 the night before Super Bowl 50.
- Orange Watch: First Syracuse-LSU meeting in Louisiana was a historic Sugar Bowl tale - September 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 41, Central Michigan 17 - September 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer classless in victory - September 13, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse v. Middle Tennessee highlights NCAA clock problem - September 12, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football coaches past and present match wits Saturday - September 5, 2017
- Orange Watch: The never-ending quest to find talent for Syracuse football - August 23, 2017
- Orange Watch: Dick MacPherson memorial service an elegant tribute to legendary persona - August 15, 2017
- Orange Watch: An honor to know, work with former Syracuse coach Dick MacPherson - August 9, 2017
- Orange Watch: It’s been 30 seasons since Syracuse’s 1987 undefeated Sugar Bowl journey - August 1, 2017
- Orange Watch: If Syracuse football can get to a bowl game, there are plenty of destinations - July 26, 2017