Last month’s announcement that four former Syracuse football standouts, 2015 finalist Marvin Harrison (1992-95), along with Gary Anderson (1978-79, 1980-81), Daryl Johnston (1985-88) and in his first year of eligibility, Keith Bulluck (1996-99), were among the 108 modern day players for the 2016 class of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, serves a reminder that if indeed Harrison is elected in his third year on the ballot, Syracuse will join select company.
Following the Hall inclusion of wide receivers Andre Reed and Tim Brown the last two years to unlock a long logjam at the position, the consensus is that Harrison, the reclusive ex-Orange star and record-setting Indianapolis Colts great receiver, gets over the voting finish line this year for his inevitable enshrinement, and would become the eighth Syracuse member in Canton joining Jim Brown (1971), Jim Ringo (1981), Larry Csonka (1987), John Mackey (1992), Al Davis (1992), Art Monk (2008), and Floyd Little (2010).
Only five other schools currently have eight or more Hall inductees, Notre Dame and Southern California with 12 each, Ohio State with nine, then Michigan and Pittsburgh also with eight (Alabama like SU currently has seven). That would be pretty impressive company among the biggest name schools in the sport’s history.
Besides the four SU nominees this year, other former Syracuse players likely to receive future Hall consideration are Donovan McNabb (1995-98), who officially retired from the NFL in 2013, and Dwight Freeney (1998-99, 2000-01), who’s unsigned after completing his 13th NFL season with San Diego last year.
The 2016 nominees will be paired down to 25 in November, then to 15 in January, before the voting results are announced Feb. 6 the night before Super Bowl 50.
- Orange Watch: Jim Boeheim took 11 years to win consecutive NCAA games at Syracuse - January 10, 2017
- Orange Watch: ACC flexes its bowl game muscles with Syracuse on outside looking in - January 4, 2017
- Orange Watch: Can the Syracuse basketball team salvage its season? - December 27, 2016
- Orange Watch: What would the reaction be if a Syracuse player sat out a bowl game? - December 23, 2016
- Orange Watch: Still hard to figure how Syracuse basketball will fare come ACC play - December 21, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 105, Eastern Michigan 57 - December 19, 2016
- Orange Watch: Pearl Washington and the once fierce Syracuse-Georgetown rivalry - December 13, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, Wisconsin 77 - November 29, 2016
- Orange Watch: Our thought process behind selecting the 2016 All ACC football team - November 29, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, South Carolina 64 - November 26, 2016