Let’s start off today by wishing a speedy recovery to Syracuse basketball coach Mike Hopkins, who apparently is in a neck brace because he was body surfing recently on a family trip to California. On to today’s recruiting news…
Thursday afternoon, Southington (Conn.) High quarterback Jay Rose decided to stay in-state, selecting his hometown Huskies over offers from other Power 5 schools, including Wake Forest, Syracuse and Wisconsin. Rose had been recruited mostly as a tight end, but the Orange and Huskies—his top two choices—were two schools recruiting him as a quarterback.
Scout.com’s John Garcia Jr. caught up with 2017 Arab (Ala.) junior Daulton Hyatt, who was offered by Syracuse earlier in the week. Hyatt says he’s looking to make a visit to Syracuse, but isn’t rushing his recruiting process. He also holds offers from Vanderbilt, Miami and Wake Forest. Hyatt is from the same town as Syracuse freshman Steven Clark.
2017 4-star DT Fred Hansard chatted with Bleacher Report’s Tyler Donohue about the latest in his recruiting process. Hansard was on hand for Michigan State’s 31-28 win over Oregon, and has also had steady contact with Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State. “Fred moves like a 220-pound kid, so he has that rare blend of size, speed and athleticism that every college coach is looking for,” said Hansard’s head coach, Todd Smith. Hansard also holds a Syracuse offer.
Switching to basketball, Scout.com’s Ben Sigel spoke with 2017 Neumann-Goretti (PA) forward Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree, who received an offer from Syracuse earlier in the week. Cosby-Roundtree attends the same high school as fellow Syracuse offeree Quade Green, and a package deal may be possible. “We have. We speak about it from time to time but haven’t really thought too much into it.”
I’ll leave you with this last nugget for the week: Don’t play catch with Michael Carter-Williams, especially if you’re a cameraman. He’s a bit wild on the two-seamer. Have a great weekend, everyone!
- McAnaney: Syracuse lacrosse a tough out because it is ‘battle tested’ - April 28, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse finds familiar result in one-goal win against Binghamton - April 22, 2017
- Syracuse stumbles out of the gate, but rallies to defeat North Carolina - April 16, 2017
- Mettus: Syracuse lacrosse ‘the team to beat’ right now - April 14, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse flexes its muscles, pushing past Cornell - April 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse enjoys rare rout, easily dispatching Hobart - April 6, 2017
- 2016-17 Syracuse basketball report card - April 3, 2017
- An early look at the 2017-18 Syracuse basketball team - March 31, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017