Before we start today, I wanted to wish a Happy Birthday (technically it was Sunday) to former Syracuse star CJ Fair! I also wanted to wish him the best of luck as he tries to make the Indiana Pacers roster. On to today’s recruiting links…
Scout.com’s Corey Bender was down at Tampa (Fla.) Plant High School recently, and gives updates on two Syracuse commits and another prospect. 2017 four-star receiver Juwan Burgess has two front runners right now: Syracuse and Clemson. Burgess’ other schools of interest include Clemson, Florida, Va. Tech, FSU and Miami.
Bender also speaks with SU’s two commits, starting with Scoop Bradshaw. Bradshaw sounds off on his senior season, his recruitment, and also talks about taking his official visit to Syracuse. Scout now has Bradshaw as a 3-star prospect, and as the 101st ranked safety in his class.
As for QB commit Rex Culpepper, he is making rehabbing his top focus after he tore his ACL in August. “I have a really good relationship with coach (Tim) Lester and coach (Scott) Shafer,” Culpepper said. He is the 66th overall quarterback recruit in the 2016 class.
2016 defensive back Eric Burrell enjoyed his visit to Nebraska over the weekend. Scout.com’s Josh Harvey writes that Burrell will visit Wisconsin in November and other schools such as Rutgers, Duke and Boston College may get official visits as well. Earlier in July, Burrell said he would “definitely” take an official to Syracuse.
Several Syracuse recruits enjoyed auspicious weekends. 2017 quarterback Jack Coan completed 15 of 27 passes for 172 yards in Sayville’s 33-19 win over Westhampton. 2016 commit Moe Neal’s Forestview game has been suspended until today with the game tied at 14. Neal has 15 yards on 10 carries so far, but also has a nifty 34-yard touchdown reception on a screen pass. 2016 running back Tyler Thompson returned from injury to rush for 187 yards and three touchdowns.
Moving to basketball, Syracuse coaches will be in Philadelphia this week to check out 2017 guard recruit Quade Green, writes Syracuse.com’s Mike Waters. Carl Arrigale, Green’s coach at Neumann-Goretti High School says that the Orange will watch Green during a workout. Green hails from the same high school as former SU stars Scoop Jardine and Rick Jackson.
An interesting note from SNY.tv’s very own, Adam Zagoria. He writes that Cerruti Brown, organizer of the eight-team semipro basketball league ‘AmeriLeague’ has been targeting various high school basketball prospects in the 2016 class. “The league remains in discussions with former Syracuse commit Moustapha Diagne, who is now expected to enroll at Northwest Florida State after he was unable to qualify for Syracuse,” Zagoria writes.
That’s all for today. One final shoutout goes to Coach Mac, who was honored during SU’s win over Wake Forest on Saturday.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017