Today marks the 14th anniversary of 9/11, and I wanted to start off by taking a moment to remember and honor all of the victims, survivors and first responders of that tragic event. You are all on our minds, thoughts and prayers. It is on that melancholy note that we move on to today’s links…
Syracuse.com’s Mike Waters writes that Syracuse assistant coach Gerry McNamara will watch 2017 5-star recruit Hamidou Diallo this Friday. The Orange hasn’t offered a scholarship yet, but it seems possible that it will happen later this week. Diallo already has offers from Connecticut, Providence, Indiana, Kansas, and St. John’s.
Syracuse football may be getting some good news soon. Scout.com’s Brian Dohn says that three-star TE/QB prospect Jay Rose is going to commit either Sunday or Monday. Four schools are in the running for Rose, including UConn, Wake Forest, Syracuse and Wisconson. But Rose wants to remain a quarterback at the college level, and Syracuse is recruiting him at that spot. That gives the Orange a big advantage, and Dohn says SU is the favorite.
2016 defensive tackle Stanford commit Bo Peek continues to be solid to the Cardinal. Though several schools, including Syracuse, Ole Miss, Louisville, Rutgers and South Florida, offered Peek, he tells Scout.com’s Corey Bender nothing has really changed since he committed in February. Peek is scheduled for his official visit to northern California in January, and doesn’t have any other visits scheduled.
2016 defensive lineman Amir Watts will play in the Army All-American game after this season, reports Scout.com’s Beth Long. Watts decommitted from Western Michigan in August, and has offers from Kentucky, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Illinois, Indiana, and Syracuse. Watts also mentions he will likely take officials after the season.
The Tampa Bay Times’ Kelly Parsons writes about knee injuries not necessarily derailing the recruiting process for some high school football players, specifically mentioning Syracuse commit Rex Culpepper. The 2016 quarterback tore his ACL weeks after committing to SU, and heard from Scott Shafer shortly after the injury. “The most important thing was to get some good news that night,” Plant coach Robert Weiner said. “And touching base with coach Shafer was a good way to do that.”
To close on a Syracuse-related, but non-recruiting news story for the week, take a look at this story on SI.com about Jameel McClain, the former SU football star who was recently cut by the New York Giants. It’s a great read.
Have a great weekend, everyone!
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Notre Dame 84 - January 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 76, Boston College 53 - January 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 73, Virginia Tech 83 - January 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Pittsburgh 66 - January 7, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 70, Miami 55 - January 4, 2017
- Kouwe: Syracuse basketball ‘will get better from here’ - January 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 81, Boston College 96 - January 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Cornell 56 - December 27, 2016
- Cornell Big Red — 2016-17 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - December 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, St. John’s 93 - December 21, 2016