Here’s wishing everyone a relaxing and enjoyable Labor Day. I’d also like to take this opportunity to extend a special shout out to the Kansas State Marching Band for a *ahem* interesting performance during their season opener. On that note, on to today’s links…
Newsday did a write-up on a Long Island prospect with interest in Syracuse, Jack Coan. Bob Herzog writes that the junior quarterback had a busy summer, visiting six schools that offered him a scholarship. Coan took trips to Michigan, Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse, Miami and Stony Brook, and said the Big House “takes your breath away when you first see it.” Coan also mentions that he doesn’t have a timetable for a decision yet.
Ethan Wiederkehr tells Newsday’s Gregg Sarra about his NFL aspirations in a recent profile story. His father, Hans, who attended Syracuse, nearly made it in 1986 with the Steelers, but never made it on to an NFL field. There are “more than 40 schools” knocking on Wiederkehr’s door, with Syracuse, Maryland, Rutgers and Boston College in the hunt. But while Wiederkehr has obvious ties to Syracuse, “it’s realistic for Ethan to set his goals even higher.” (Higher than Syracuse? Ouch.)
WFLA’s Paul Ryan writes that Plant High School is playing for its injured quarterback, Rex Culpepper, this season. Culpepper, a 2016 Syracuse commit, tore his ACL in preseason, and there are three quarterbacks who have tried to fill the void. One of them is his brother, Judge, a Syracuse target. “Every time I go back there and take a snap, I’m thinking: ‘This is what my brother would do,'” Judge said. The younger Culpepper starred in Plant’s 35-14 win on Friday.
Noah Jordan-Williams discusses the latest in his recruitment with Scout.com’s Mike McAllister. The 2017 receiver holds offers from Syracuse and Buffalo, and played at the Carrier Dome on Saturday night during CBA’s season opener.
With Syracuse back in the market for a big man to potentially round out its 2016 recruiting class, the Orange may get involved again for center James Banks. The 6-10 center recently visited Texas and will also take a visit to Vanderbilt according to Scout.com’s Evan Daniels. Banks is the No. 45 overall recruit according to Scout, and the 2016 class’ No. 9 center. He holds an offer from Syracuse, among many others.
Enjoy the day off, everyone!
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Toledo 64 - November 22, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017