Here’s wishing everyone a relaxing and enjoyable Labor Day. I’d also like to take this opportunity to extend a special shout out to the Kansas State Marching Band for a *ahem* interesting performance during their season opener. On that note, on to today’s links…
Newsday did a write-up on a Long Island prospect with interest in Syracuse, Jack Coan. Bob Herzog writes that the junior quarterback had a busy summer, visiting six schools that offered him a scholarship. Coan took trips to Michigan, Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse, Miami and Stony Brook, and said the Big House “takes your breath away when you first see it.” Coan also mentions that he doesn’t have a timetable for a decision yet.
Ethan Wiederkehr tells Newsday’s Gregg Sarra about his NFL aspirations in a recent profile story. His father, Hans, who attended Syracuse, nearly made it in 1986 with the Steelers, but never made it on to an NFL field. There are “more than 40 schools” knocking on Wiederkehr’s door, with Syracuse, Maryland, Rutgers and Boston College in the hunt. But while Wiederkehr has obvious ties to Syracuse, “it’s realistic for Ethan to set his goals even higher.” (Higher than Syracuse? Ouch.)
WFLA’s Paul Ryan writes that Plant High School is playing for its injured quarterback, Rex Culpepper, this season. Culpepper, a 2016 Syracuse commit, tore his ACL in preseason, and there are three quarterbacks who have tried to fill the void. One of them is his brother, Judge, a Syracuse target. “Every time I go back there and take a snap, I’m thinking: ‘This is what my brother would do,'” Judge said. The younger Culpepper starred in Plant’s 35-14 win on Friday.
Noah Jordan-Williams discusses the latest in his recruitment with Scout.com’s Mike McAllister. The 2017 receiver holds offers from Syracuse and Buffalo, and played at the Carrier Dome on Saturday night during CBA’s season opener.
With Syracuse back in the market for a big man to potentially round out its 2016 recruiting class, the Orange may get involved again for center James Banks. The 6-10 center recently visited Texas and will also take a visit to Vanderbilt according to Scout.com’s Evan Daniels. Banks is the No. 45 overall recruit according to Scout, and the 2016 class’ No. 9 center. He holds an offer from Syracuse, among many others.
Enjoy the day off, everyone!
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Central Connecticut State 7 - September 1, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army crossing Final Four threshold builds momentum for 2018 - August 22, 2017
- Boston College Eagles — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 21, 2017
- Adelson: Syracuse football ‘will be better’ but bowl game may prove elusive - August 18, 2017
- Ervin Philips — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 16, 2017
- Louisville Cardinals — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 14, 2017
- Steve Ishmael — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 8, 2017