Here’s wishing everyone a relaxing and enjoyable Labor Day. I’d also like to take this opportunity to extend a special shout out to the Kansas State Marching Band for a *ahem* interesting performance during their season opener. On that note, on to today’s links…
Newsday did a write-up on a Long Island prospect with interest in Syracuse, Jack Coan. Bob Herzog writes that the junior quarterback had a busy summer, visiting six schools that offered him a scholarship. Coan took trips to Michigan, Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse, Miami and Stony Brook, and said the Big House “takes your breath away when you first see it.” Coan also mentions that he doesn’t have a timetable for a decision yet.
Ethan Wiederkehr tells Newsday’s Gregg Sarra about his NFL aspirations in a recent profile story. His father, Hans, who attended Syracuse, nearly made it in 1986 with the Steelers, but never made it on to an NFL field. There are “more than 40 schools” knocking on Wiederkehr’s door, with Syracuse, Maryland, Rutgers and Boston College in the hunt. But while Wiederkehr has obvious ties to Syracuse, “it’s realistic for Ethan to set his goals even higher.” (Higher than Syracuse? Ouch.)
WFLA’s Paul Ryan writes that Plant High School is playing for its injured quarterback, Rex Culpepper, this season. Culpepper, a 2016 Syracuse commit, tore his ACL in preseason, and there are three quarterbacks who have tried to fill the void. One of them is his brother, Judge, a Syracuse target. “Every time I go back there and take a snap, I’m thinking: ‘This is what my brother would do,'” Judge said. The younger Culpepper starred in Plant’s 35-14 win on Friday.
Noah Jordan-Williams discusses the latest in his recruitment with Scout.com’s Mike McAllister. The 2017 receiver holds offers from Syracuse and Buffalo, and played at the Carrier Dome on Saturday night during CBA’s season opener.
With Syracuse back in the market for a big man to potentially round out its 2016 recruiting class, the Orange may get involved again for center James Banks. The 6-10 center recently visited Texas and will also take a visit to Vanderbilt according to Scout.com’s Evan Daniels. Banks is the No. 45 overall recruit according to Scout, and the 2016 class’ No. 9 center. He holds an offer from Syracuse, among many others.
Enjoy the day off, everyone!
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Notre Dame 84 - January 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 76, Boston College 53 - January 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 73, Virginia Tech 83 - January 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Pittsburgh 66 - January 7, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 70, Miami 55 - January 4, 2017
- Kouwe: Syracuse basketball ‘will get better from here’ - January 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 81, Boston College 96 - January 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Cornell 56 - December 27, 2016
- Cornell Big Red — 2016-17 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - December 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, St. John’s 93 - December 21, 2016