Before we get to the recruiting links today, a special shout out goes to Hall of Fame coach Dick MacPherson. Syracuse announced on Wednesday that MacPherson will be honored during the Orange’s game against Wake Forest on Sept. 12. With that said, let’s go to recruiting…
Syracuse.com’s Donna Ditota reports that former Syracuse commit Moustapha Diagne is still in Senegal and is awaiting a student visa to attend JUCO Northwest Florida State. In August, reports surfaced that Diagne wasn’t cleared by the NCAA—and couldn’t attend SU—because of a class he took in Senegal.
The fallout from Syracuse losing Diagne is starting to play out in its 2016 recruiting cycle. While the Orange already has commitments from Tyus Battle and Matt Moyer, and Scout.com’s Ben Sigel reported on Wednesday morning that SU offered 6-foot-10 center Taurean Thompson. Sigel said later that Thompson could take a visit to Syracuse as “early as this month.”
SNY.tv’s very own, Adam Zagoria, confirms the Syracuse visit, and also writes that Thompson will take a trip to Xavier. That makes a busy September for him, because The Recruit Scoop’s Alex Kline reports that Thompson took an unofficial to Rutgers on Wednesday.
Syracuse could also get involved again for 2016 big man Sedee Keita. He visited Providence this week while also adding an offer from Baylor, Kline says. Keita has offers from Syracuse, Villanova, Tennessee and Temple, among others.
Zagoria also reports that 2016 point guard Kevin Huerter enjoyed his visit to Villanova. “They loved it, loved everything about it,” Albany City Rocks coach Jim Hart said. Huerter will also take visits to Maryland, Michigan and Notre Dame, and is also considering Iowa, Indiana, Creighton and Davidson.
Elsewhere in the basketball recruiting world, Scout.com released his top 100 for the 2017 class, and Syracuse target Trevon Duval is ranked No. 3. Scout.com’s Rob Harrington writes this about Duval, who is the top ranked guard in his class: “Duval is a very tough defender whose hard-nosed style manifests through multiple different avenues.” Syracuse, Villanova, Oregon, Indiana and Arizona are among the schools recruiting Duval.
That’s all for today. And if you happen to see Scott Shafer walking around, please don’t give him any kiwis…
- Recruiting Roundup: Marek Dolezaj to Syracuse, Meechi Harris narrows list to nine - May 24, 2017
- 2017 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon - May 23, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Tournament: A look at Syracuse lacrosse’s first round matchup against Yale - May 11, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse will finish off regular season with trip to Colgate - May 5, 2017