Before we get to the recruiting links today, a special shout out goes to Hall of Fame coach Dick MacPherson. Syracuse announced on Wednesday that MacPherson will be honored during the Orange’s game against Wake Forest on Sept. 12. With that said, let’s go to recruiting…
Syracuse.com’s Donna Ditota reports that former Syracuse commit Moustapha Diagne is still in Senegal and is awaiting a student visa to attend JUCO Northwest Florida State. In August, reports surfaced that Diagne wasn’t cleared by the NCAA—and couldn’t attend SU—because of a class he took in Senegal.
The fallout from Syracuse losing Diagne is starting to play out in its 2016 recruiting cycle. While the Orange already has commitments from Tyus Battle and Matt Moyer, and Scout.com’s Ben Sigel reported on Wednesday morning that SU offered 6-foot-10 center Taurean Thompson. Sigel said later that Thompson could take a visit to Syracuse as “early as this month.”
SNY.tv’s very own, Adam Zagoria, confirms the Syracuse visit, and also writes that Thompson will take a trip to Xavier. That makes a busy September for him, because The Recruit Scoop’s Alex Kline reports that Thompson took an unofficial to Rutgers on Wednesday.
Syracuse could also get involved again for 2016 big man Sedee Keita. He visited Providence this week while also adding an offer from Baylor, Kline says. Keita has offers from Syracuse, Villanova, Tennessee and Temple, among others.
Zagoria also reports that 2016 point guard Kevin Huerter enjoyed his visit to Villanova. “They loved it, loved everything about it,” Albany City Rocks coach Jim Hart said. Huerter will also take visits to Maryland, Michigan and Notre Dame, and is also considering Iowa, Indiana, Creighton and Davidson.
Elsewhere in the basketball recruiting world, Scout.com released his top 100 for the 2017 class, and Syracuse target Trevon Duval is ranked No. 3. Scout.com’s Rob Harrington writes this about Duval, who is the top ranked guard in his class: “Duval is a very tough defender whose hard-nosed style manifests through multiple different avenues.” Syracuse, Villanova, Oregon, Indiana and Arizona are among the schools recruiting Duval.
That’s all for today. And if you happen to see Scott Shafer walking around, please don’t give him any kiwis…
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Chris Carlson on the NIT, 2017 basketball recruiting, Greensboro - March 17, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, UNC Greensboro 77 - March 15, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse basketball left out of NCAA Tournament - March 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse surges, sputters, then hangs on for win against St. John’s - March 12, 2017
- Jim Boeheim pleads case for Syracuse after ACC Tournament loss - March 9, 2017
- Syracuse coach says there’s ‘no value’ in playing ACC Tournament in Greensboro - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, Miami 62 - March 8, 2017