Before we start off the recruiting links, congratulations to walk-on Seamus Shanley for winning a starting spot on the offensive line! And his reward for it is a huge crowd during a media session. Anyway, Tuesday marked the first day of the contact period for football recruits, and Scott Shafer and staff reached out to a few recruits right away.
Delaware linebacker Avery Roberts heard from 24 schools before 9 a.m., and Syracuse was among the group he mentioned to Scout.com’s Brian Dohn. “It’s humbling and a huge blessing,” he said. “I know many people would love to be in this situation, but it also makes it more confusing.”
Rivals.com’s Adam Friedman writes that the Syracuse coaching staff also wasted no time in contacting four-star Maryland OL Marcus Minor. Other schools that reached out to Minor included West Virginia, Boston College, Penn State, Ohio State, Tennessee and Clemson.
Todd Centeio from Palm Beac Gardens (Fla.) also heard from the Orange according to Scout.com’s Jason Higdon. The pro-style quarterback has offers from NC State, Indiana, Miami and North Carolina, among others.
Count 2017 RB AJ Dillon of Groton (MA) Lawrence among this group too. According to 24/7 Sports’ Alex Gleitman, Eric White has been among the many people attempting to contact Dillon. Syracuse is one of 12 teams that Gleitman listed, though.
Here’s another one: Syracuse was one of 22 schools that directly contacted defensive tackle Fred Hansard on Twitter, writes 24/7’s Ryan Bartow. Hansard has 14 offers, and the Crystal Ball is leaning 66 percent toward Rutgers.
2017 quarterback Hendon Hooker heard from four schools at 12:01 a.m. according to 24/7 Sports’ Ryan Bartow. Clemson, Mississippi State, Wake Forest and North Carolina all reached out to Hooker, who also has an offer from Syracuse.
Scout.com released its 2016 basketball rankings today, and Syracuse sits at No. 8. Tyus Battle (24) and Matthew Moyer (75) are currently committed to the Orange, though fellow ACC foes Florida State (2), Virginia (3) and Duke (6) are ranked above them.
Michael Porter Jr. wrote a blog post on Tuesday for USA Today High School Sports confirming that he wants to package with Trae Young and that “Mizzou, Kansas, Virginia, Washington and Duke” are the schools coming at him hardest. Earlier in the summer, Porter Jr. had cut his list to 10 schools: Washington, Duke, Missouri, Stanford, Kentucky, UCLA, Syracuse, Indiana, Kansas and Virginia.
That’s all for today. Have a great day, folks.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017