On this Friday in August, we salute our troops by recognizing Purple Heart Day, a tradition that was started by George Washington in 1782.
We’ve got several football stories that we’re tracking for you today. Scout.com’s Mike McAllister catches up with 2017 four-star receiver Anthony White Jr. White holds offers from eight schools including Syracuse, Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Illinois, Kentucky, LSU, NC State and USF. He specifically mentioned Syracuse as one of his top suitors. “Overall they have been showing lots of love,” White said.
Elsewhere in the football recruiting world, Syracuse offered two-star 2017 outside linebacker Dytarious Johnson, he wrote on his Twitter feed. The Prattville, Alabama product committed to Michigan in early June over offers from Alabama State, Georgia Southern, Geogia State, Jacksonville State, Memphis, South Alabama and Troy, according to Rivals.com. Don’t count on flipping Johnson, though. 247 Sports (where he is rated three stars) lists him as a hard commit to the Wolverines.
As for this recruiting cycle, one name to keep an eye out for as Syracuse wraps up its 2016 class is tight end Mark Michaud, writes Syracuse.com’s Stephen Bailey. The 6-foot-4, 225-pound New Jersey prospect was offered by the Orange earlier in the week and there appears to be mutual interest. “They’ve got good academics; I’m real big on academics,” Michaud said. “I’m planning on visiting during the school year.” According to Rivals.com, Michaud didn’t receive an offer in the 2015 cycle from the Orange, but did have offers from Purdue and Marshall, among others. While we’re on the topic of Bailey, he came on to chat about recruiting with us yesterday on The Juice on the Cuse podcast.
2017 running back Mike Epstein committed to Illinois last night. Epstein had six offers, and selected the Illini over UCF and Cincinnati according to Scout.com’s Ryan Easterling. Epstein had previously taken an unofficial visit to Syracuse back in March.
Finally, on the hardwood, 2016 Rochester native Quinton Rose committed to Temple. Syracuse had shown some interest in Rose earlier in the year, but Rose never received an offer from the Orange. Other schools looking at Rose included Wake Forest, Miami, SMU, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Minnesota and George Washington. The story was first reported by Scout.com’s Evan Daniels.
That’s it for today. Have a great weekend, everyone!
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017