On this Friday in August, we salute our troops by recognizing Purple Heart Day, a tradition that was started by George Washington in 1782.
We’ve got several football stories that we’re tracking for you today. Scout.com’s Mike McAllister catches up with 2017 four-star receiver Anthony White Jr. White holds offers from eight schools including Syracuse, Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Illinois, Kentucky, LSU, NC State and USF. He specifically mentioned Syracuse as one of his top suitors. “Overall they have been showing lots of love,” White said.
Elsewhere in the football recruiting world, Syracuse offered two-star 2017 outside linebacker Dytarious Johnson, he wrote on his Twitter feed. The Prattville, Alabama product committed to Michigan in early June over offers from Alabama State, Georgia Southern, Geogia State, Jacksonville State, Memphis, South Alabama and Troy, according to Rivals.com. Don’t count on flipping Johnson, though. 247 Sports (where he is rated three stars) lists him as a hard commit to the Wolverines.
As for this recruiting cycle, one name to keep an eye out for as Syracuse wraps up its 2016 class is tight end Mark Michaud, writes Syracuse.com’s Stephen Bailey. The 6-foot-4, 225-pound New Jersey prospect was offered by the Orange earlier in the week and there appears to be mutual interest. “They’ve got good academics; I’m real big on academics,” Michaud said. “I’m planning on visiting during the school year.” According to Rivals.com, Michaud didn’t receive an offer in the 2015 cycle from the Orange, but did have offers from Purdue and Marshall, among others. While we’re on the topic of Bailey, he came on to chat about recruiting with us yesterday on The Juice on the Cuse podcast.
2017 running back Mike Epstein committed to Illinois last night. Epstein had six offers, and selected the Illini over UCF and Cincinnati according to Scout.com’s Ryan Easterling. Epstein had previously taken an unofficial visit to Syracuse back in March.
Finally, on the hardwood, 2016 Rochester native Quinton Rose committed to Temple. Syracuse had shown some interest in Rose earlier in the year, but Rose never received an offer from the Orange. Other schools looking at Rose included Wake Forest, Miami, SMU, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Minnesota and George Washington. The story was first reported by Scout.com’s Evan Daniels.
That’s it for today. Have a great weekend, everyone!
- Ervin Philips — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 16, 2017
- Louisville Cardinals — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 14, 2017
- Steve Ishmael — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 8, 2017
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 7, 2017
- Moe Neal — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Boeheim’s Army 77, Overseas Elite 81 - August 2, 2017
- Miami Hurricanes — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 31, 2017
- Boeheim’s Army GM: Team FOE was ‘rattled’ by pro-Syracuse crowd - July 28, 2017
- Clemson Tigers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 25, 2017
- Zaire Franklin — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - July 18, 2017