Happy hump day to you all. Since we neglected hoops recruiting yesterday, let’s start there. Syracuse basketball’s 2016 class appears to be set at the moment, with Matt Moyer and Tyus Battle committed to the Orange. As it stands, Syracuse is already one scholarship over the limit with the NCAA sanctions, so the focus now shifts to 2017 recruiting.
One name that likely won’t be involved in that 2017 class is Shenendehowa guard Kevin Huerter. Huerter is entertaining offers from more than a dozen schools in the 2016 cycle, including Notre Dame, Maryland and Michigan according to 247 Sports. Syracuse has only offered Huerter in the 2017 class, so he would need to spend a year in prep school if he were to accept the offer. Scout.com’s Ben Sigel says that Huerter has no such intention, and will schedule visits only for 2016 offers, effectively eliminating the Orange.
But Syracuse has other options in that 2017 class, including Scout.com’s No. 1 rated point guard in the class, Trevon Duval. The Orange is in a crowded field for his services, as he holds offers from Arizona, Villanova, Cal, Louisville and St. John’s, among others. A west coast school is also heavily involved, with sources telling Scout.com’s Evan Daniels that Duval will be taking a visit to UCLA along with elite prospects EJ Montgomery and Gary Trent.
On the football side, we wrote about Stanford commit (and Orange target) Bo Peek transferring to Plant High School on Tuesday. Plant is the home of current SU commits Rex Culpepper and Scoop Bradshaw. Well, 2017 athlete Juwan Burgess also plays there, and said on Twitter that while Miami was showing him some love, it didn’t quite stack up to the attention he had been receiving from Syracuse. According to 247 Sports, Burgess has an impressive offer list that includes Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Ohio State, UCLA and Miami.
Also of note on Culpepper, Katherine Smith of Bright House Sports Network named him as one of the top 25 players in the Citrus, Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas and Polk (Florida) counties.
In the 2016 class, outline linebacker Devin Miller is also feeling the love from Syracuse, according to a tweet from his account yesterday. “Cuse is showing the love lately sheesh,” he said. Miller has offers from Syracuse and 11 other schools according to Scout.com.
Finally, 2016 safety Benny Walls received his official offer from Syracuse yesterday according to his Twitter account. The 6-foot, 195 pound safety has offers from BC, Rutgers, Syracuse and Temple according to 247 Sports.
- Coleman’s recent uptick could be Syracuse’s best since Christmas - December 7, 2016
- After loss to UConn, Syracuse’s Lydon vows to be more aggressive - December 6, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Connecticut 52 - December 5, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, North Florida 71 - December 3, 2016
- Two early season losses could be bad harbinger for Syracuse basketball - December 1, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 61, Pittsburgh 76 - November 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 101, South Carolina State 59 - November 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from Bourama Sidibe - November 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Monmouth 50 - November 18, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Quade Green between Syracuse, Kentucky; Lonnie Walker to Miami - November 17, 2016