As we countdown to kickoff in September, we’re going to be doing a team-by-team preview each Wednesday over the summer. SU will continue its 2015 ACC schedule when they play Virginia on Oct. 17.
HOT SEAT: Patience is running thin for head coach Mike London at Virginia. For the third straight season, London’s team failed to make the postseason, even though 2014’s 5-7 campaign was a marked improvement over Virginia’s disastrous 2-10 year in 2013. The Cavaliers’ 2014 season started with promise, with the team opening the season 4-2. But once UVa entered ACC play, things went bad quickly, and despite the five wins being the second highest total in London’s five seasons, he will need to get to the postseason to save his job.
WHO TO WATCH FOR: At the very least, London will enter the 2015 season with some stability at quarterback. Last year, both Greyson Lambert and Matt Johns took turns under center, with Lambert starting nine games and Johns filling in for three when Lambert was hurt. Johns won the starting job coming out of spring ball, which led Lambert to transfer to Georgia in June. Of the two, Johns is more suited for the pro-style offense that the Cavaliers run, having rushed for 107 yards last season in spot duty. But Johns also only completed 54.9 percent of his passes last season, and will need to improve on his 8/5 touchdown-to-interception ratio.
PREDICTION: Though Virginia finished 33rd in the country in defense in 2014, allowing 24.1 points per game, the Cavaliers have lost plenty of talent in their pass rush. Still, while DE Eli Harold and LB Max Valles were early entries to the NFL Draft, they also return Freshman All-American safety Quin Blanding. A home game for the Cavaliers gives them the edge. VIRGINIA 24, SYRACUSE 21.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 76, Boston College 53 - January 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 73, Virginia Tech 83 - January 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Pittsburgh 66 - January 7, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 70, Miami 55 - January 4, 2017
- Kouwe: Syracuse basketball ‘will get better from here’ - January 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 81, Boston College 96 - January 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Cornell 56 - December 27, 2016
- Cornell Big Red — 2016-17 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - December 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, St. John’s 93 - December 21, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Georgetown 78 - December 17, 2016