As we countdown to kickoff in September, we’re going to be doing a team-by-team preview each Wednesday over the summer. SU will continue its 2015 ACC schedule when they play Virginia on Oct. 17.
HOT SEAT: Patience is running thin for head coach Mike London at Virginia. For the third straight season, London’s team failed to make the postseason, even though 2014’s 5-7 campaign was a marked improvement over Virginia’s disastrous 2-10 year in 2013. The Cavaliers’ 2014 season started with promise, with the team opening the season 4-2. But once UVa entered ACC play, things went bad quickly, and despite the five wins being the second highest total in London’s five seasons, he will need to get to the postseason to save his job.
WHO TO WATCH FOR: At the very least, London will enter the 2015 season with some stability at quarterback. Last year, both Greyson Lambert and Matt Johns took turns under center, with Lambert starting nine games and Johns filling in for three when Lambert was hurt. Johns won the starting job coming out of spring ball, which led Lambert to transfer to Georgia in June. Of the two, Johns is more suited for the pro-style offense that the Cavaliers run, having rushed for 107 yards last season in spot duty. But Johns also only completed 54.9 percent of his passes last season, and will need to improve on his 8/5 touchdown-to-interception ratio.
PREDICTION: Though Virginia finished 33rd in the country in defense in 2014, allowing 24.1 points per game, the Cavaliers have lost plenty of talent in their pass rush. Still, while DE Eli Harold and LB Max Valles were early entries to the NFL Draft, they also return Freshman All-American safety Quin Blanding. A home game for the Cavaliers gives them the edge. VIRGINIA 24, SYRACUSE 21.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Central Connecticut State 7 - September 1, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army crossing Final Four threshold builds momentum for 2018 - August 22, 2017
- Boston College Eagles — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 21, 2017
- Adelson: Syracuse football ‘will be better’ but bowl game may prove elusive - August 18, 2017
- Ervin Philips — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 16, 2017
- Louisville Cardinals — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 14, 2017