Alterique Gilbert, a 5-foot-10 point guard from Lithonia (GA) Miller Grove, will announce his college choice on Saturday morning, he Tweeted. Gilbert, ranked the No. 6 point guard in the Class of 2016 by 247Sports.com, lists UConn, Syracuse, Illinois, Texas and Louisville, with UConn considered the favorite as it’s the only school he visited. “Very excited about announcing my college decision Saturday morning July 4th ! Stay tuned in,” he Tweeted.
Kassoum Yakwe has been named the the Nike EYBL Defensive Player of the Year and is targeting a July decision on his future plans. The 6-foot-7, 205-pound forward from the PSA Cardinals and Our Savior New American averaged 3.1 blocks and 6.3 rebounds per game en route to the award. He is the second straight player from the PSA Cardinals program to win Defensive Player of the Year honors, following incoming Kansas freshman Cheick Diallo.
JohnCarlo Valentin, the 6-4, 345-pound offensive lineman from Imhotep (Philadelphia, Pa.), is arguably Rutgers’ top remaining offensive line target in the recruiting class of 2016. And it appears the interest is mutual. Valentin, who is of Haitian, Dominican, Hawaiian and African-American descent, says Rutgers, Michigan, Auburn, Temple and Virginia Tech are five schools which stand out at the moment, although not in any particular order.
Led by a second consecutive double-double from Harry Giles, the United States moved into the quarterfinals at the FIBA U19 World Championship by beating Argentina 93-45 in Crete, Greece. Giles (Wesleyan Christian Academy; Winston-Salem, N.C.) finished with 17 points on 7 of 10 from the field and added 12 rebounds and a blocked shot in his 17 minutes. Giles is averaging team highs of 14 points and 8.5 rebounds per game as the Americans are 4-0.
Mad Ants forward C.J. Fair will get his chance to impress Boston’s brass in the near future, as Fair will suit up for the Celtics in summer league play. The Orlando, Utah, and Las Vegas summer leagues will take place over the next two weeks. Fair averaged 13.9 points and 5.7 rebounds a game last season in Fort Wayne.
- Recruiting Roundup: Decision day for Hugh Davis, Syracuse re-offers Jo-El Shaw - May 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 running back Jawhar Jordan commits to Syracuse - May 25, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Marek Dolezaj to Syracuse, Meechi Harris narrows list to nine - May 24, 2017
- 2017 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon - May 23, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017