Alterique Gilbert, a 5-foot-10 point guard from Lithonia (GA) Miller Grove, will announce his college choice on Saturday morning, he Tweeted. Gilbert, ranked the No. 6 point guard in the Class of 2016 by 247Sports.com, lists UConn, Syracuse, Illinois, Texas and Louisville, with UConn considered the favorite as it’s the only school he visited. “Very excited about announcing my college decision Saturday morning July 4th ! Stay tuned in,” he Tweeted.
Kassoum Yakwe has been named the the Nike EYBL Defensive Player of the Year and is targeting a July decision on his future plans. The 6-foot-7, 205-pound forward from the PSA Cardinals and Our Savior New American averaged 3.1 blocks and 6.3 rebounds per game en route to the award. He is the second straight player from the PSA Cardinals program to win Defensive Player of the Year honors, following incoming Kansas freshman Cheick Diallo.
JohnCarlo Valentin, the 6-4, 345-pound offensive lineman from Imhotep (Philadelphia, Pa.), is arguably Rutgers’ top remaining offensive line target in the recruiting class of 2016. And it appears the interest is mutual. Valentin, who is of Haitian, Dominican, Hawaiian and African-American descent, says Rutgers, Michigan, Auburn, Temple and Virginia Tech are five schools which stand out at the moment, although not in any particular order.
Led by a second consecutive double-double from Harry Giles, the United States moved into the quarterfinals at the FIBA U19 World Championship by beating Argentina 93-45 in Crete, Greece. Giles (Wesleyan Christian Academy; Winston-Salem, N.C.) finished with 17 points on 7 of 10 from the field and added 12 rebounds and a blocked shot in his 17 minutes. Giles is averaging team highs of 14 points and 8.5 rebounds per game as the Americans are 4-0.
Mad Ants forward C.J. Fair will get his chance to impress Boston’s brass in the near future, as Fair will suit up for the Celtics in summer league play. The Orlando, Utah, and Las Vegas summer leagues will take place over the next two weeks. Fair averaged 13.9 points and 5.7 rebounds a game last season in Fort Wayne.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017