NEW YORK — Former Syracuse center Rakeem Christmas was selected by the Minnesota Timberwolves with the 36th pick of the NBA Draft and then shipped to the Cleveland Cavaliers on Thursday night.
In his senior season, Christmas averaged 17.5 points and 9.1 rebounds, and was voted ACC Most Improved Player, Co-Defensive Player of the Year, First Team and All Defensive Team for his efforts.
“Being at Syracuse it’s a great program, a winning program and being around Coach (Jim) Boeheim taught me a lot and prepared me for this whole moment right here,” Christmas said.
Cleveland traded for Christmas, the No. 36 pick and Turkish player Cedi Osman, the No. 31 pick by sending the No. 24 pick, Tyus Jones, to the Timberwolves.
“That’s someone I look up to,” Christmas said about being teammates with Lebron James in Cleveland. “I worked out for them, so I wouldn’t know if that’s true or not. That would be a great experience for me, and they’re a great team, and I’d just be happy to be a part of that.”
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 76, Boston College 53 - January 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 73, Virginia Tech 83 - January 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Pittsburgh 66 - January 7, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 70, Miami 55 - January 4, 2017
- Kouwe: Syracuse basketball ‘will get better from here’ - January 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 81, Boston College 96 - January 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Cornell 56 - December 27, 2016
- Cornell Big Red — 2016-17 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - December 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, St. John’s 93 - December 21, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Georgetown 78 - December 17, 2016