Mark Coyle will be the next Director of Athletics at Syracuse University, the school announced Friday evening. Coyle comes over from Boise State, where he had been the athletic director since 2011.
“Mark has an outstanding record as a director of athletics and is known throughout the country for his professional accomplishments,” Syracuse Chancellor Kent Syverud said in a release. “His strong academic values and commitment to the welfare of student-athletes, combined with his record of achievement in fundraising, make him the right person to lead Syracuse University Athletics forward at this important time for the University.”
While Boise State had already built a solid foundation in football before Coyle arrived, the basketball team raised its profile in basketball, earning bids to the NCAA Tournament in 2013 and 2015. Coyle also guided Boise State to 12 conference championships in the Mountain West Conference.
Prior to Boise State, Coyle was a deputy athletic director at the University of Kentucky.
Coyle will replace Daryl Gross, who resigned in March following a nearly decade-long investigation by the NCAA. In a 94-page report, the NCAA detailed academic fraud within the basketball team, and docked scholarships while vacating 108 wins and suspending head coach Jim Boeheim for a portion of ACC play in 2016.
Pete Sala had been the interim director since March.
“I am truly impressed with Syracuse University’s athletics program and I am honored to have been selected athletic director,” Coyle said. “Throughout my career I have been committed to developing student-athletes and athletics staff to be leaders both inside the classroom and on the court and playing fields. I recognize that Syracuse University student-athletes, coaches, athletic staff and fans are among the best in the country. I am eager to work beside them and look forward to becoming a part of Orange Nation.”
- McAnaney: Syracuse lacrosse a tough out because it is ‘battle tested’ - April 28, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse finds familiar result in one-goal win against Binghamton - April 22, 2017
- Syracuse stumbles out of the gate, but rallies to defeat North Carolina - April 16, 2017
- Mettus: Syracuse lacrosse ‘the team to beat’ right now - April 14, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse flexes its muscles, pushing past Cornell - April 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse enjoys rare rout, easily dispatching Hobart - April 6, 2017
- 2016-17 Syracuse basketball report card - April 3, 2017
- An early look at the 2017-18 Syracuse basketball team - March 31, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017