Mark Coyle will be the next Director of Athletics at Syracuse University, the school announced Friday evening. Coyle comes over from Boise State, where he had been the athletic director since 2011.
“Mark has an outstanding record as a director of athletics and is known throughout the country for his professional accomplishments,” Syracuse Chancellor Kent Syverud said in a release. “His strong academic values and commitment to the welfare of student-athletes, combined with his record of achievement in fundraising, make him the right person to lead Syracuse University Athletics forward at this important time for the University.”
While Boise State had already built a solid foundation in football before Coyle arrived, the basketball team raised its profile in basketball, earning bids to the NCAA Tournament in 2013 and 2015. Coyle also guided Boise State to 12 conference championships in the Mountain West Conference.
Prior to Boise State, Coyle was a deputy athletic director at the University of Kentucky.
Coyle will replace Daryl Gross, who resigned in March following a nearly decade-long investigation by the NCAA. In a 94-page report, the NCAA detailed academic fraud within the basketball team, and docked scholarships while vacating 108 wins and suspending head coach Jim Boeheim for a portion of ACC play in 2016.
Pete Sala had been the interim director since March.
“I am truly impressed with Syracuse University’s athletics program and I am honored to have been selected athletic director,” Coyle said. “Throughout my career I have been committed to developing student-athletes and athletics staff to be leaders both inside the classroom and on the court and playing fields. I recognize that Syracuse University student-athletes, coaches, athletic staff and fans are among the best in the country. I am eager to work beside them and look forward to becoming a part of Orange Nation.”
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016