Plant quarterback Rex Culpepper has committed to Syracuse, coach Robert Weiner confirmed Tuesday. The rising senior chose the Orangemen over 16 other Division I offers. Culpepper, a 6-foot-3, 225-pounder, threw for 2,016 yards and 20 touchdowns last season, leading Plant to a Class 8A region semifinal before the Panthers fell to Orlando Dr. Phillips. He’ll be the Plant’s first returning starter under center since Philip Ely returned for his senior season in 2010.
There’s a new No. 1 in the ESPN basketball rankings for the recruiting class of 2016. Major UK target Harry Giles took the top spot Tuesday, replacing fellow UK target Jayson Tatum at No. 1. Giles, who is also ranked No. 1 in the class by Scout.com, is still considering UK, Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest, Kansas, Syracuse, Ohio State and UNLV. Many recruiting analysts expect the 6-foot-10 post player to stay in his home state of North Carolina for college.
Michigan State remains in the mix for Providence transfer Paschal Chukwu. According to a CBSSports.com report, the 7-foot-2 Chukwu now has a visit date set up to see the Spartans, as well as Virginia. He averaged 2.6 points and 2.4 rebounds per game as a freshman at Providence last season, playing just shy of 10 minutes per game.
Buford (Ga.) High cornerback Martin Mangram visited Syracuse for the first time on Monday. He has held an offer for nearly a month, but was able to get up to campus for an unofficial visit. Overall, Mangram felt he got an intimate view of the program. “We toured the football complex, indoor facilities, student centers, apartments, campus and the Carrier Dome,” he said.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017