Plant quarterback Rex Culpepper has committed to Syracuse, coach Robert Weiner confirmed Tuesday. The rising senior chose the Orangemen over 16 other Division I offers. Culpepper, a 6-foot-3, 225-pounder, threw for 2,016 yards and 20 touchdowns last season, leading Plant to a Class 8A region semifinal before the Panthers fell to Orlando Dr. Phillips. He’ll be the Plant’s first returning starter under center since Philip Ely returned for his senior season in 2010.
There’s a new No. 1 in the ESPN basketball rankings for the recruiting class of 2016. Major UK target Harry Giles took the top spot Tuesday, replacing fellow UK target Jayson Tatum at No. 1. Giles, who is also ranked No. 1 in the class by Scout.com, is still considering UK, Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest, Kansas, Syracuse, Ohio State and UNLV. Many recruiting analysts expect the 6-foot-10 post player to stay in his home state of North Carolina for college.
Michigan State remains in the mix for Providence transfer Paschal Chukwu. According to a CBSSports.com report, the 7-foot-2 Chukwu now has a visit date set up to see the Spartans, as well as Virginia. He averaged 2.6 points and 2.4 rebounds per game as a freshman at Providence last season, playing just shy of 10 minutes per game.
Buford (Ga.) High cornerback Martin Mangram visited Syracuse for the first time on Monday. He has held an offer for nearly a month, but was able to get up to campus for an unofficial visit. Overall, Mangram felt he got an intimate view of the program. “We toured the football complex, indoor facilities, student centers, apartments, campus and the Carrier Dome,” he said.
- Zaire Franklin — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - July 18, 2017
- Pittsburgh Panthers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 17, 2017
- NC State Wolfpack — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 10, 2017
- Ryan Blackwell on Boeheim’s Army, Mike Hopkins leaving, favorite Syracuse moment - July 7, 2017
- LSU Tigers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 29, 2017
- Scoop Bradshaw — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - June 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: NJ wide receiver Taj Harris commits to Syracuse - June 26, 2017
- Breaking down Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon’s selection by the Denver Nuggets - June 23, 2017
- Former Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon selected by Denver Nuggets in NBA Draft - June 22, 2017
- Central Michigan Chippewas — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 22, 2017