Plant quarterback Rex Culpepper has committed to Syracuse, coach Robert Weiner confirmed Tuesday. The rising senior chose the Orangemen over 16 other Division I offers. Culpepper, a 6-foot-3, 225-pounder, threw for 2,016 yards and 20 touchdowns last season, leading Plant to a Class 8A region semifinal before the Panthers fell to Orlando Dr. Phillips. He’ll be the Plant’s first returning starter under center since Philip Ely returned for his senior season in 2010.
There’s a new No. 1 in the ESPN basketball rankings for the recruiting class of 2016. Major UK target Harry Giles took the top spot Tuesday, replacing fellow UK target Jayson Tatum at No. 1. Giles, who is also ranked No. 1 in the class by Scout.com, is still considering UK, Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest, Kansas, Syracuse, Ohio State and UNLV. Many recruiting analysts expect the 6-foot-10 post player to stay in his home state of North Carolina for college.
Michigan State remains in the mix for Providence transfer Paschal Chukwu. According to a CBSSports.com report, the 7-foot-2 Chukwu now has a visit date set up to see the Spartans, as well as Virginia. He averaged 2.6 points and 2.4 rebounds per game as a freshman at Providence last season, playing just shy of 10 minutes per game.
Buford (Ga.) High cornerback Martin Mangram visited Syracuse for the first time on Monday. He has held an offer for nearly a month, but was able to get up to campus for an unofficial visit. Overall, Mangram felt he got an intimate view of the program. “We toured the football complex, indoor facilities, student centers, apartments, campus and the Carrier Dome,” he said.
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Chris Carlson on the NIT, 2017 basketball recruiting, Greensboro - March 17, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, UNC Greensboro 77 - March 15, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse basketball left out of NCAA Tournament - March 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse surges, sputters, then hangs on for win against St. John’s - March 12, 2017
- Jim Boeheim pleads case for Syracuse after ACC Tournament loss - March 9, 2017
- Syracuse coach says there’s ‘no value’ in playing ACC Tournament in Greensboro - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, Miami 62 - March 8, 2017