As we countdown to kickoff in September, we’re going to be doing a team-by-team preview each Wednesday over the summer. SU wiill open its 2015 season when they play Rhode Island on Sept. 4.
ROUGH FIRST SEASON: Rhode Island head coach Jim Fleming had a tough first season leading the Rams. The team went 1-11, winning its final game of the season against Towson, which snapped a 15-game losing streak for the team. If you were looking for offense, there wasn’t much of it, as the Rams scored more than 14 points just twice all year. Part of that was due to Rhode Island losing quarterback Mack Lowrie midway through the year to a shoulder injury. His replacement, James Caparell, struggled in the team’s final six games, as he threw just one touchdown to eight interceptions. A bright spot for the team happened after the season, with three-time CAA Football All-Conference linebacker Andrew Bose getting signed by the Baltimore Ravens.
WHO TO WATCH FOR: There is an open quarterback competition for the 2015 season, but Lowrie appears to have the upper hand, having taken snaps with the first team throughout spring practice. That being said, both played well in URI’s spring game, as Lowrie was 12-of-20 for 129 yards and one touchdown, while James Caparell was 15-of-26 for 157 yards. True freshman Jordan Vezzano also got some playing time, and was 8-for-20 for 92 yards and a touchdown. On defense, the Rams lost Bose, but still have junior LB Adam Parker, who racked up six tackles in the spring game. Another intriguing player in the linebacker core includes Khilyni Kennedy, who moved over from defensive end. He led all defensive players with 10 tackles in the spring game. They’ll need a huge improvement on the 34.1 points per game the unit allowed last year.
PREDICTION: Syracuse should have no problems with the Rams, but then again, many people said the same thing about Villanova last year. Expect plenty of rust in the opening half from both teams before the Orange pulls away in the second half. SYRACUSE 31, RHODE ISLAND 14.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017