Syracuse will meet Johns Hopkins in the quarterfinals of the 2015 NCAA Tournament on Sunday in Annapolis, Maryland. Here is a quick look at the game:
IN SYRACUSE’S LAST GAME: Syracuse pummeled Marist in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, 20-8. The Red Foxes scored the first goal of the game, a lead that lasted until 11:02 in the first quarter when Hakeem Lecky’s unassisted goal tied the game. From there? Total and complete domination. Lecky’s goal was the first of 10 unanswered goals that gave SU a 10-1 lead with 8:32 left in the first half. When Marist scored its next goal, more than 22 minutes had gone by.
IN JOHNS HOPKINS’ LAST GAME: Johns Hopkins won its sixth straight game in a convincing 19-7 victory over Virginia to advance to the NCAA Tournament Quarterfinals. Early in the first half, the teams were tied at 1 apiece, but Hopkins rattled off 11 unanswered goals to take a 12-1 lead in the second quarter. The Cavaliers went scoreless for 22 minutes during the run, and the game was effectively over by halftime, with the Blue Jays up 13-2. According to Hopkins’ Sports Information, it was the most lopsided win for Hopkins over Virginia since 1955.
SCOUTING THE BLUE JAYS: Hopkins is led by Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year Ryan Brown, whose racked up 58 goals and 12 assists this season. Fellow attackman Wells Stanwick, and First Team All Big 10 performer, is second on the team in scoring with 22 goals and 41 assists. Also be on the look out for Big 10 Freshman of the Year Joel Tinney, who chipped in 25 goals and nine assists this season. Drew Kennedy (106/206) and Hunter Moreland (94/159) have taken the majority of the faceoffs this season.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The last time these two teams met was on March 14, with the Orange winning 13-10 at the Carrier Dome. Randy Staats’ four goals helped erase an early 5-1 deficit as SU held the Blue Jays scoreless for more than 15 minutes. Syracuse and Johns Hopkins are the two most winning programs in NCAA history, and the Blue Jays own a 27-25-1 record in the series.
GAME INFORMATION: Sunday, May 17 at 12 p.m. in Annapolis, Maryland. TV: ESPN2.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Central Connecticut State 7 - September 1, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army crossing Final Four threshold builds momentum for 2018 - August 22, 2017
- Boston College Eagles — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 21, 2017
- Adelson: Syracuse football ‘will be better’ but bowl game may prove elusive - August 18, 2017
- Ervin Philips — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 16, 2017
- Louisville Cardinals — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 14, 2017