Syracuse will host Marist on Sunday in the Round of 16 of the 2015 NCAA Tournament. Here is a quick look at the game:
IN SYRACUSE’S LAST GAME: Nicky Galasso scored twice in the final nine minutes of the game, Kevin Rice added two goals and three assists, and No. 1 Syracuse edged No. 12 Colgate 9-7 on Saturday afternoon. The Orange fell behind early, as it struggled to figure out how to attack a stifling Colgate zone defense. But Dylan Donahue scored an extra-man goal in the second quarter, which proved to be the impetus for a 3-0 run that gave the Orange its first lead of the game, 6-5, with 4:49 left in the first half. The teams would play even from there until the final period.
IN MARIST’S LAST GAME: The Red Foxes never trailed as it defeated Bryant for its first NCAA Tournament victory in program history, 10-6. Freshman Gannon Morrison led Marist with four points on two goals and two assists and senior goalie Dave Scarcello notched 14 saves. The Red Foxes jumped up 5-1 in the first quarter and the Bulldogs could never pull closer than three goals the rest of the way in part because they turned the ball over 19 times.
SCOUTING THE RED FOXES: The Red Foxes feature a pair of First Team All-MAAC selections in attackman Joseph Radin and defenseman Pat Eaker. Radin leads Marist with 51 goals and 17 assists. Meanwhile, Eaker has been part of a defense that allows just 7.94 goals per game and just 27.8 percent in man-up opportunities. Faceoff specialist Dominic Montemurro has taken 383 of 394 faceoffs this season, and is currently winning them at a 54.3 percent rate. He was named MAAC Face-Off Specialist of the Year, which would make for an intriguing matchup against SU’s Ben Williams.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: This will be the first time Syracuse and Marist have played each other in lacrosse. The Red Foxes are making just their second appearance in the NCAA Tournament.
GAME INFORMATION: Sunday, May 10 at 7:30 p.m. at the Carrier Dome. TV: ESPNU.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016