Syracuse will host Marist on Sunday in the Round of 16 of the 2015 NCAA Tournament. Here is a quick look at the game:
IN SYRACUSE’S LAST GAME: Nicky Galasso scored twice in the final nine minutes of the game, Kevin Rice added two goals and three assists, and No. 1 Syracuse edged No. 12 Colgate 9-7 on Saturday afternoon. The Orange fell behind early, as it struggled to figure out how to attack a stifling Colgate zone defense. But Dylan Donahue scored an extra-man goal in the second quarter, which proved to be the impetus for a 3-0 run that gave the Orange its first lead of the game, 6-5, with 4:49 left in the first half. The teams would play even from there until the final period.
IN MARIST’S LAST GAME: The Red Foxes never trailed as it defeated Bryant for its first NCAA Tournament victory in program history, 10-6. Freshman Gannon Morrison led Marist with four points on two goals and two assists and senior goalie Dave Scarcello notched 14 saves. The Red Foxes jumped up 5-1 in the first quarter and the Bulldogs could never pull closer than three goals the rest of the way in part because they turned the ball over 19 times.
SCOUTING THE RED FOXES: The Red Foxes feature a pair of First Team All-MAAC selections in attackman Joseph Radin and defenseman Pat Eaker. Radin leads Marist with 51 goals and 17 assists. Meanwhile, Eaker has been part of a defense that allows just 7.94 goals per game and just 27.8 percent in man-up opportunities. Faceoff specialist Dominic Montemurro has taken 383 of 394 faceoffs this season, and is currently winning them at a 54.3 percent rate. He was named MAAC Face-Off Specialist of the Year, which would make for an intriguing matchup against SU’s Ben Williams.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: This will be the first time Syracuse and Marist have played each other in lacrosse. The Red Foxes are making just their second appearance in the NCAA Tournament.
GAME INFORMATION: Sunday, May 10 at 7:30 p.m. at the Carrier Dome. TV: ESPNU.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017