Syracuse will wrap up its regular season against Colgate on Saturday. Here’s a quick look at the game:
IN SYRACUSE’S LAST GAME: Syracuse defeated Duke, 15-14, in a thrilling game for the ACC Championship. SU (11-2) kept a slim lead throughout the second half before finally opening up a three goal advantage with 3:15 to play. It proved to be just enough margin to hold on for the win in the final frantic minute of the game. Orange attackman Kevin Rice was his usual pesky self with three goals and four assists, while Randy Staats and Nicky Galasso had three goals apiece.
IN COLGATE’S LAST GAME: Colgate defeated Army 11-8 on Sunday to claim the Patriot League Championship. It was a remarkable turnaround season for the Raiders, who started the season 4-4, and currently sit at 10-4. It will be their first appearance in the NCAA Tournament since the 2012 season, and it’s their first conference title since 2008. Cameron Williams tied a career-high in goals with four in the win.
SCOUTING THE RAIDERS: Colgate had its fingerprints all over the All-Patriot League teams, with six Raiders earning honors. They were led by first team performances from midfielder Matt Clarkson and attackman Ryan Walsh. Clarkson has scored 12 goals this season to go with a team-high 23 assists. Meanwhile, Walsh led the team with 22 goals. The future is bright for the Raiders, as well, with Anthony Abbadessa earning Rookie of the Year honors. He’s third on the team in both goals (20) and points (31).
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The last time these two teams met was in the 2014 season, with the Orange dominating the Raiders in a 19-6 victory at the Carrier Dome. Kevin Rice led SU with seven points (3g, 4a) while Randy Staats chipped in three goals and two assists. The Orange has a 44-11-1 edge in the all-time series.
GAME INFORMATION: Sat., May 2 at 3:30 p.m. in Hamilton, NY. TV: CBS Sports Network.
- Tim Welsh calls Syracuse an NCAA Tournament team that could play into second weekend - December 9, 2017
- Matt Moyer gives Syracuse basketball hope after disappointing start - December 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Connecticut 63 - December 5, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, Kansas 72 - December 2, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Maryland 70 - November 27, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Toledo 64 - November 22, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017