Syracuse will wrap up its regular season against Colgate on Saturday. Here’s a quick look at the game:
IN SYRACUSE’S LAST GAME: Syracuse defeated Duke, 15-14, in a thrilling game for the ACC Championship. SU (11-2) kept a slim lead throughout the second half before finally opening up a three goal advantage with 3:15 to play. It proved to be just enough margin to hold on for the win in the final frantic minute of the game. Orange attackman Kevin Rice was his usual pesky self with three goals and four assists, while Randy Staats and Nicky Galasso had three goals apiece.
IN COLGATE’S LAST GAME: Colgate defeated Army 11-8 on Sunday to claim the Patriot League Championship. It was a remarkable turnaround season for the Raiders, who started the season 4-4, and currently sit at 10-4. It will be their first appearance in the NCAA Tournament since the 2012 season, and it’s their first conference title since 2008. Cameron Williams tied a career-high in goals with four in the win.
SCOUTING THE RAIDERS: Colgate had its fingerprints all over the All-Patriot League teams, with six Raiders earning honors. They were led by first team performances from midfielder Matt Clarkson and attackman Ryan Walsh. Clarkson has scored 12 goals this season to go with a team-high 23 assists. Meanwhile, Walsh led the team with 22 goals. The future is bright for the Raiders, as well, with Anthony Abbadessa earning Rookie of the Year honors. He’s third on the team in both goals (20) and points (31).
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The last time these two teams met was in the 2014 season, with the Orange dominating the Raiders in a 19-6 victory at the Carrier Dome. Kevin Rice led SU with seven points (3g, 4a) while Randy Staats chipped in three goals and two assists. The Orange has a 44-11-1 edge in the all-time series.
GAME INFORMATION: Sat., May 2 at 3:30 p.m. in Hamilton, NY. TV: CBS Sports Network.
- McAnaney: Syracuse lacrosse a tough out because it is ‘battle tested’ - April 28, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse finds familiar result in one-goal win against Binghamton - April 22, 2017
- Syracuse stumbles out of the gate, but rallies to defeat North Carolina - April 16, 2017
- Mettus: Syracuse lacrosse ‘the team to beat’ right now - April 14, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse flexes its muscles, pushing past Cornell - April 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse enjoys rare rout, easily dispatching Hobart - April 6, 2017
- 2016-17 Syracuse basketball report card - April 3, 2017
- An early look at the 2017-18 Syracuse basketball team - March 31, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017