Chester, Pa. – A quick take on Syracuse’s exciting 15-14 win versus Duke Sunday afternoon in the ACC Championship game at sunny and bright PPL Park outside of Philadelphia:
WHAT HAPPENED: In an expected back-and-forth game against two programs that know each other well, and with each possession precious, SU (11-2) kept a slim lead throughout the second half before finally opening up a three goal advantage with 3:15 to play, just enough margin to hold on for the win in the final frantic minute of the game.
WHAT IT MEANS: In its second ACC season, Syracuse captures its first league title by sweeping the season games against the Blue Devils (11-5) after winning 19-7 in the Dome March 22. The victory, along with a win in the last regular season game this weekend at Colgate, could lift the Orange to the No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.
STAR GAZING: Orange attackman Kevin Rice was his usual pesky self with three goals and four assists, while Randy Staats and Nicky Galasso had three goals apiece. Duke’s Kyle Rowe, and to a lesser extent his brother Jack, won the faceoff battle with Ben Williams at the X 21-11, including critical fourth quarter possessions to keep DU in the game.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse closes out the regular season with a road game at Colgate Saturday, May 2. The Raiders (10-4) beat Army 11-8 in the Patriot League championship game Sunday afternoon. Game Time: 3:30 p.m. ET / TV: CBS Sports Network.
- Orange Watch: First Syracuse-LSU meeting in Louisiana was a historic Sugar Bowl tale - September 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 41, Central Michigan 17 - September 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer classless in victory - September 13, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse v. Middle Tennessee highlights NCAA clock problem - September 12, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football coaches past and present match wits Saturday - September 5, 2017
- Orange Watch: The never-ending quest to find talent for Syracuse football - August 23, 2017
- Orange Watch: Dick MacPherson memorial service an elegant tribute to legendary persona - August 15, 2017
- Orange Watch: An honor to know, work with former Syracuse coach Dick MacPherson - August 9, 2017
- Orange Watch: It’s been 30 seasons since Syracuse’s 1987 undefeated Sugar Bowl journey - August 1, 2017
- Orange Watch: If Syracuse football can get to a bowl game, there are plenty of destinations - July 26, 2017