Chester, Pa. – A quick take on Syracuse’s exciting 15-14 win versus Duke Sunday afternoon in the ACC Championship game at sunny and bright PPL Park outside of Philadelphia:
WHAT HAPPENED: In an expected back-and-forth game against two programs that know each other well, and with each possession precious, SU (11-2) kept a slim lead throughout the second half before finally opening up a three goal advantage with 3:15 to play, just enough margin to hold on for the win in the final frantic minute of the game.
WHAT IT MEANS: In its second ACC season, Syracuse captures its first league title by sweeping the season games against the Blue Devils (11-5) after winning 19-7 in the Dome March 22. The victory, along with a win in the last regular season game this weekend at Colgate, could lift the Orange to the No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.
STAR GAZING: Orange attackman Kevin Rice was his usual pesky self with three goals and four assists, while Randy Staats and Nicky Galasso had three goals apiece. Duke’s Kyle Rowe, and to a lesser extent his brother Jack, won the faceoff battle with Ben Williams at the X 21-11, including critical fourth quarter possessions to keep DU in the game.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse closes out the regular season with a road game at Colgate Saturday, May 2. The Raiders (10-4) beat Army 11-8 in the Patriot League championship game Sunday afternoon. Game Time: 3:30 p.m. ET / TV: CBS Sports Network.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Cornell 45 - November 10, 2017
- Orange Watch: Revamped roster for Syracuse basketball will need time to bloom - November 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Seeking a ‘November to Remember’ for Syracuse Football - October 31, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse picked 10th in the ACC - October 26, 2017
- Orange Watch: Yearning for ACC football division reconfiguration - October 24, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Miami 27 - October 21, 2017
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017