Chester, Pa. – A quick take on Syracuse’s exciting 15-14 win versus Duke Sunday afternoon in the ACC Championship game at sunny and bright PPL Park outside of Philadelphia:
WHAT HAPPENED: In an expected back-and-forth game against two programs that know each other well, and with each possession precious, SU (11-2) kept a slim lead throughout the second half before finally opening up a three goal advantage with 3:15 to play, just enough margin to hold on for the win in the final frantic minute of the game.
WHAT IT MEANS: In its second ACC season, Syracuse captures its first league title by sweeping the season games against the Blue Devils (11-5) after winning 19-7 in the Dome March 22. The victory, along with a win in the last regular season game this weekend at Colgate, could lift the Orange to the No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.
STAR GAZING: Orange attackman Kevin Rice was his usual pesky self with three goals and four assists, while Randy Staats and Nicky Galasso had three goals apiece. Duke’s Kyle Rowe, and to a lesser extent his brother Jack, won the faceoff battle with Ben Williams at the X 21-11, including critical fourth quarter possessions to keep DU in the game.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse closes out the regular season with a road game at Colgate Saturday, May 2. The Raiders (10-4) beat Army 11-8 in the Patriot League championship game Sunday afternoon. Game Time: 3:30 p.m. ET / TV: CBS Sports Network.
- Orange Watch: Perhaps now Jim Boeheim can even win 1000 games at Syracuse ‘twice’ - March 22, 2017
- Orange Watch: With Hopkins leaving Syracuse, a look back at March 19, 2015 - March 20, 2017
- NIT Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Mississippi 85 - March 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: 2017 only the ninth non-NCAA season under Jim Boeheim for Syracuse - March 14, 2017
- Orange Watch: Will tournament in Brooklyn resonate with Syracuse, ACC? - March 8, 2017
- Orange Watch: The case for Syracuse guard John Gillon being All-ACC - March 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: 2017 Syracuse football to play in traditional southern locales - February 28, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball facing a potential historic losing streak - February 21, 2017
- Orange Watch: Minimum of five games left to decide Syracuse basketball’s postseason - February 16, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 75, Pittsburgh 80 - February 11, 2017