Syracuse will play its final ACC game of the season when it travels to North Carolina on Saturday. Here’s a quick look at the game:
IN SYRACUSE’S LAST GAME: SU (8-1) outscored Albany (7-2) 4-1 in the second quarter to take an 8-5 lead into intermission, and the Orange truly broke it open with a run midway through the second half that put the game out of reach. Kevin Rice’s goal with 4:23 left in the third quarter was part of a 4-0 run that culminated with a Nicky Galasso goal with 8:40 left in the fourth quarter. That gave SU a 16-8 lead, and Galasso would add an unassisted goal with 1:40 left for the final margin.
IN NORTH CAROLINA’S LAST GAME: With the score tied at four goals apiece in the third quarter, North Carolina went on a 6-1 run spanning 25 minutes to defeat Virginia, 10-6. It was only the third time Virginia had been held below double digit scoring this season, and the lowest output for UVA since the 2001 season. North Carolina goalie Kieran Burke notched 12 saves and led a defense that forced 18 turnovers. On offense, Joey Sankey scored four goals for his 20th career hat trick.
SCOUTING THE TAR HEELS: Sankey (24 goals, 30 assists) was named the ACC’s co-Offensive Player of the week after his five points against Virginia. He is joined by Jimmy Bitter, whose 29 goals and 32 assists are in the top 15 nationally in goals and assists. The Tar Heels have established home dominance as of late, having won 13 straight games. UNC is one of the best defensive teams in the ACC, allowing just 9.00 goals per game while holding opponents to just a 24.1 shot percentage.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: This is Syracuse’s first visit to Chapel Hill since the 1993 season. In that game, the Tar Heels won 14-10. SU holds a 12-6 all-time series lead, with the Orange winning 12-11 in the team’s most recent matchup last year. It marked the first time the schools met as conference opponents, and ended with Billy Ward’s goal with 2:57 left in the second overtime.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, April 11 at 4 p.m. in Chapel Hill, NC. TV: ESPNU.
- Coleman’s recent uptick could be Syracuse’s best since Christmas - December 7, 2016
- After loss to UConn, Syracuse’s Lydon vows to be more aggressive - December 6, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Connecticut 52 - December 5, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, North Florida 71 - December 3, 2016
- Two early season losses could be bad harbinger for Syracuse basketball - December 1, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 61, Pittsburgh 76 - November 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 101, South Carolina State 59 - November 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from Bourama Sidibe - November 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Monmouth 50 - November 18, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Quade Green between Syracuse, Kentucky; Lonnie Walker to Miami - November 17, 2016