The loss ended the high school careers of four Pope John seniors — Moustapha Diagne, Damien Rance, Jeromy Rodriguez and Matt Zignorski. They made an imprint on school history and Sussex County basketball history, too. Pope John is losing a lot, and so are the seniors by departing from Pope John. “I will miss everything,” Diagne said. “It’s not just about basketball out there, it’s about everything, a family, every day. To get together and see how we’re going to get better every single day. I’ll miss everything — seniors, juniors, I’ll miss everything. And I’m just sad it’s over.”
Syracuse transfer B.J. Johnson has committed to La Salle, a source confirmed to SNY.tv. The 6-7 sophomore out of Philadelphia averaged 4.1 points and 3.1 rebounds in 25 games this past season. He must sit a year as per NCAA transfer regulations and will then have two years of eligibility.
Trenton Catholic’s Malachi Richardson has been named the Gatorade New Jersey Player of the Year. The Syracuse-bound guard averaged 18.7 points per game for the Iron Mikes, helping lead them to the South Jersey, Non-Public B final.
Jamal Murray of Kitchener has been selected to play in next month’s Biosteel All-Canadian Basketball Game. The showcase game will be played on Tuesday, April 14 at the Mattamy Athletic Centre and will be televised on TSN following the Toronto Raptors’ game against the Boston Celtics. Twenty-four of the best high school players in Canada will participate in the game, including 19 that have represented this country on the international stage or participated in Canada Basketball programming.
- Syracuse lacrosse finds familiar result in one-goal win against Binghamton - April 22, 2017
- Syracuse stumbles out of the gate, but rallies to defeat North Carolina - April 16, 2017
- Mettus: Syracuse lacrosse ‘the team to beat’ right now - April 14, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse flexes its muscles, pushing past Cornell - April 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse enjoys rare rout, easily dispatching Hobart - April 6, 2017
- 2016-17 Syracuse basketball report card - April 3, 2017
- An early look at the 2017-18 Syracuse basketball team - March 31, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017