Syracuse University announced Wednesday that Jim Boeheim will coach three more years, through the 2017-18 season, before presumably turning over the keys to the Melo Center to longtime coach-in-waiting Mike Hopkins.
The university made the out-of-the-blue announcement on the same day that it announced the resignation of athletic director Daryl Gross, and the appointment of senior associate director of athletics, and longtime university employee Pete Sala as the interim AD.
Boeheim stood at 966 career victories in his 39 seasons running the program, until the NCAA vacated 108 of those victories in light of its long term investigation into the program that concluded with the announced penalties on March 6.
The NCAA also suspended Boeheim for the first nine games of next year’s ACC schedule, and the university also announced Wednesday that it will appeal both the 108 vacated victories, and the loss of 12 scholarships over a four year period.
If that appeal turns out to be successful down the road, Boeheim could be in a position to officially win his 1000th game sometime during the middle season of the three more years he plans to coach.
In what should be an interesting and sure to be somewhat emotional press conference Thursday morning at the Dome (10:00 a.m. ET), Coach Boeheim will be in the spotlight as he speaks about the long awaited plans on how his career will wind down by his 42nd season in 2017-18, the school’s NCAA appeal and any options he may be pursuing, and perhaps clear up exactly who his successor will be and how that topic is being handled on the recruiting trail.
- Orange Watch: Road win against North Carolina proving to be challenge for Syracuse - January 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 68, North Carolina 85 - January 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Jim Boeheim took 11 years to win consecutive NCAA games at Syracuse - January 10, 2017
- Orange Watch: ACC flexes its bowl game muscles with Syracuse on outside looking in - January 4, 2017
- Orange Watch: Can the Syracuse basketball team salvage its season? - December 27, 2016
- Orange Watch: What would the reaction be if a Syracuse player sat out a bowl game? - December 23, 2016
- Orange Watch: Still hard to figure how Syracuse basketball will fare come ACC play - December 21, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 105, Eastern Michigan 57 - December 19, 2016
- Orange Watch: Pearl Washington and the once fierce Syracuse-Georgetown rivalry - December 13, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, Wisconsin 77 - November 29, 2016