Syracuse.com’s Chris Carlson joins hosts Wesley Cheng to talk about the sanctions on Syracuse and SU’s pursuit of Thomas Bryant on The Juice on the Cuse podcast hosted by SNY.tv. Former SU basketball player Andrew Kouwe then calls in to break down the past season and the upcoming one.
Here are the highlights from the show:
Wes Cheng: One of the things I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around is the scholarship situation. Does Syracuse need to have four open scholarships to recruit Thomas Bryant because of the 3-scholarship a year rule plus the self-imposed one scholarship, or does the 3- scholarship rule start in the 2016-17 season, which means SU would only need two open scholarships?
Chris Carlson: Our basketball beat writer Mike Waters has been trying to get an answer from the NCAA unsuccessfully. They keep forwarding us the rule. He and I read it the same way. When we read the NCAA’s ruling, we both saw that the deferment could only occur for players who had executed financial aid agreements to the school, which would not include Thomas Bryant. It would include everyone else. So our interpretation is that they need to get four guys to get Thomas Bryant in because that way, they’re not able to defer the penalty for a guy who hasn’t signed a scholarship. So to get a new guy in, they would have to accept the penalty this year. That’s kind of how both of us saw it as convoluted as it is.
To subscribe, click the link above and then click VIEW IN iTunes, You will then see a button asking you to subscribe to the podcast.
2. Syracuse.com’s Chris Carlson calls in
3. Were punishments fair or foul?
4. Latest with scholarship situation with Thomas Bryant?
5. Is this the end of success for Syracuse basketball?
6. Andrew Kouwe calls in
7. Thoughts as an alumni on the sanctions
8. Did the 2014-15 team overachieve?
9. Looking forward to next year
10. Closing Thoughts and Wrap Up
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 76, Boston College 53 - January 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 73, Virginia Tech 83 - January 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Pittsburgh 66 - January 7, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 70, Miami 55 - January 4, 2017
- Kouwe: Syracuse basketball ‘will get better from here’ - January 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 81, Boston College 96 - January 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Cornell 56 - December 27, 2016
- Cornell Big Red — 2016-17 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - December 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, St. John’s 93 - December 21, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Georgetown 78 - December 17, 2016