Elite 2015 big men Thon Maker and Thomas Bryant were on hand at Assembly Hall for Indiana’s 74-72 loss to Michigan State on Saturday afternoon. Both players walked in to cheers from the pep band and the students before the game, and both received loud cheers from the students as they left the court area after the game. Bryant, wearing an Indiana t-shirt, waved to the crowd as he exited. There were no chants for either player.
With Saturday’s 61-52 Non-Public, North A semifinal win over Don Bosco Prep at Pope John High School, the Lions became the first boys basketball team in school history to reach a sectional championship game. “It means a lot,” Pope John senior forward Moustapha Diagne said. “We’ve been working really hard since Day One. We never stopped working over the summer.”
Isaiah Briscoe and Malachi Richardson were named to yet another All-American team on Thursday, as it was announced the McDonald’s All Americans have also been named to the roster for the Jordan Brand Classic. Briscoe, a Kentucky-bound point guard for Roselle Catholic, and Richardson, a Syracuse commit and Trenton Catholic guard, will take part in the game at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn on April 17.
Fred Hansard, one of 2017’s top prospects, expressed Rutgers being one of his top schools at this early point in his recruitment. Hansard transferred to the Hun from Camden Catholic and reclassified from the class of 2016 prior to the 2014 season.
Tyus Battle, a point guard in the Class of 2016 long coveted by the Syracuse basketball program, has not eliminated the Orange from his recruiting list, his father said today. NCAA sanctions, announced last Friday, trimmed a total of 12 men’s basketball scholarships over four seasons starting in 2016-17, suspended head coach Jim Boeheim through nine ACC games next year and put the men’s basketball and football programs on probation for five years.
Syracuse landed a quartet of four-star recruits for its Class of 2015. Even after Friday afternoon’s events, it looks like the Orange will get all four on campus this fall. On Friday, the NCAA announced penalties for rule violations committed by the Syracuse football and basketball teams. The sanctions included 108 vacated wins, a nine-game suspension for Jim Boeheim a five-year probation and the most impactful punishment: a loss of 12 scholarships over a four year span.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Connecticut 52 - December 5, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, North Florida 71 - December 3, 2016
- Two early season losses could be bad harbinger for Syracuse basketball - December 1, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 61, Pittsburgh 76 - November 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 101, South Carolina State 59 - November 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from Bourama Sidibe - November 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Monmouth 50 - November 18, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Quade Green between Syracuse, Kentucky; Lonnie Walker to Miami - November 17, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 Syracuse target Bourama Sidibe to announce Monday - November 16, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, Holy Cross 46 - November 15, 2016