Syracuse remained perfect on Saturday afternoon despite an imperfect start.
Down 4-2 at halftime to St. John’s at the 2015 Cobb Classic in Georgia, the Orange found its stride on offense, outscoring the Red Storm 12-2 in the second half for a 14-6 win. The victory moved SU to 5-0 on the season.
The Red Storm, who came into the game with a 1-5 record, didn’t appear impressed by the undefeated Orange early on, racing out to a 4-0 lead. The Orange went scoreless for the first 27:45 of the game, while former SU player Eric DeJohn scored or assisted in three of the Red Storm’s first four goals.
Randy Staats ended the scoring drought with 2:15 remaining in the first half, and then scored again with 39 seconds left before halftime. That seemed to be the spark that SU needed, as it scored the first five goals of the third quarter to take a 7-4 lead. Though St. John’s would score twice to cut the lead to one, the Orange squashed any hopes of an upset by outscoring St. John’s 7-0 in the final quarter.
Staats led Syracuse with five goals and chipped in an assist, while Kevin Rice scored a goal and added four assists. Ben Williams continued his stellar play at the X for Syracuse, going 13-of-19 in faceoffs.
Williams’ play gave the Orange plenty of offensive opportunities, with SU outshooting the Red Storm 40-22 for the game and 24-10 in the second half.
DeJohn led St. John’s with three points, but was a non-factor in the second half.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016