A quick take on Syracuse’s 59-47 loss to Duke on Monday evening:
WHAT HAPPENED: Virginia struggled mightily in the first half, scoring just 2 points through the first 14 minutes. But the Cavaliers scored the final 11 points of the half, and took a 23-20 lead into intermission. A 7-0 run early in the second half gave Virginia a 35-24 lead with 16:57 left, and the Cavaliers would lead by double digits for most of the second half.
ANALYSIS: Like so many teams that came before them, Syracuse fell victim to Virginia’s style of play. The Cavs vexing defense suffocated the Orange offense into 38 percent shooting from the field and 4-19 from beyond the arc. On offense, Virginia consistently used the entire shot clock, poking and probing the Orange zone until it found a high percentage shot. Despite scoring only two points in the first 14 minutes, the Cavaliers ended up shooting 47 percent from the field. And like so many other games, Virginia completely dominated the glass, holding a 41-20 advantage over the Orange, including 15 offensive rebounds.
HERO: London Perrantes was the catalyst for the Virginia offense, accounting for 10 of Virginia’s 13 assists on offense, while adding 10 points. Anthony Gill led all scorers with 17 points and chipped in eight rebounds, six on the offensive end. In his final home game at Syracuse, Rakeem Christmas scored 10 points and added four rebounds, three assists and two blocks.
ZERO: For the first time this season, Kaleb Joseph didn’t start, nor did he see a single minute on the floor until late in the second half and the game already decided. His replacement in the lineup, BJ Johnson, didn’t play particularly well, though, finishing with three points on 1-6 shooting. Michael Gbinije contributed to SU’s poor shooting, finishing 2-11 from the field.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will conclude its season against North Carolina State on Saturday, March 7 at noon. TV: CBS.
- Tim Welsh calls Syracuse an NCAA Tournament team that could play into second weekend - December 9, 2017
- Matt Moyer gives Syracuse basketball hope after disappointing start - December 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Connecticut 63 - December 5, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, Kansas 72 - December 2, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Maryland 70 - November 27, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Toledo 64 - November 22, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017