A quick take on Syracuse’s 65-60 win against Notre Dame on Tuesday evening:
WHAT HAPPENED: Rakeem Christmas, saddled with four fouls throughout most of the second half, fouled out with just over five minutes left and the Orange clinging to a 49-41 lead. Notre Dame quickly cut the lead to three points, and pulled to within 59-57 with 40 seconds left after Jerian Grant was fouled on a 3-point attempt by Ron Patterson and hit all three free throws. But on the ensuing possession, Syracuse beat Notre Dame’s press resulting in a BJ Johnson dunk plus a foul, and SU hung on for its second win against a ranked team this season.
ANALYSIS: If you’re into efficient offenses and high scoring games, this was not the game for you. Both offenses slogged through the game with SU shooting 40 percent from the field and Notre Dame at 35 percent. Syracuse was 4-16 from downtown and Notre Dame was 3-22. In other words, it was the exact kind of game Syracuse wanted to play against Notre Dame, which came into the game with the No. 10 offense in the country at 79.8 points per game and the No. 2 field goal percentage at 51.3 percent. Had Syracuse been eligible for the postseason, it would’ve been a second signature win coming a week after upsetting No. 12 Louisville at home.
HERO: Johnson was a force off the bench, leading SU with 19 points on 7-13 shooting. Christmas went for 14 points and 12 rebounds before fouling out.
ZERO: Steve Vasturia was part of the offensive struggle for the Irish, shooting 2-10 and 0-6 from downtown.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will travel to North Carolina to take on Duke on Feb. 28 at 7 p.m.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Connecticut 52 - December 5, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, North Florida 71 - December 3, 2016
- Two early season losses could be bad harbinger for Syracuse basketball - December 1, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 61, Pittsburgh 76 - November 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 101, South Carolina State 59 - November 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from Bourama Sidibe - November 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Monmouth 50 - November 18, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Quade Green between Syracuse, Kentucky; Lonnie Walker to Miami - November 17, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 Syracuse target Bourama Sidibe to announce Monday - November 16, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, Holy Cross 46 - November 15, 2016