A quick take on Syracuse’s 69-59 win against Louisville on Wednesday evening:
WHAT HAPPENED: An SU 8-0 run starting with 10 minutes left in the second half turned a 47-44 deficit into a 52-47 lead with 6:52 left. Rakeem Christmas was at the center of the run, scoring six of those points to rebound from a two game funk. The Orange would take full control of the game with a late 8-2 run, and a Tyler Roberson dunk with 4:34 left gave the Orange a 60-52 lead.
ANALYSIS: Finally. After going winless against the four ranked opponents SU played this season (Michigan, Villanova, North Carolina and Duke), the Orange finally clipped the No. 12 Cardinals. While SU won’t be participating in the postseason this year, this win would’ve gone down as a signature win for its tournament resume. As for Louisville, they clearly missed starting guard Chris Jones, who was suspended indefinitely on Tuesday. Louisville has lost three of four after starting conference play 8-2.
HERO: Christmas was dominant, scoring 29 points on 9-10 shooting after he had scored just 18 points on 8-25 shooting against Duke and Boston College. Michael Gbinije continued his torrid play, finishing with 18 points, five rebounds and six assists.
ZERO: Wayne Blackshear, who came in averaging 10.9 points per game, went scoreless and fouled out with 5:16 left. After hitting his first 3-pointer of the game, Trevor Cooney missed his next nine shots, finishing 1-10 from the field.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange host Pitt on Sat., Feb. 21 at noon. TV: ACC Network.
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army crossing Final Four threshold builds momentum for 2018 - August 22, 2017
- Boston College Eagles — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 21, 2017
- Adelson: Syracuse football ‘will be better’ but bowl game may prove elusive - August 18, 2017
- Ervin Philips — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 16, 2017
- Louisville Cardinals — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 14, 2017
- Steve Ishmael — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 8, 2017
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 7, 2017
- Moe Neal — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Boeheim’s Army 77, Overseas Elite 81 - August 2, 2017
- Miami Hurricanes — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 31, 2017