The main thing Trenton Catholic (10-4) head coach Fred Falchi wants out of his super shooter and McDonald’s All-American Malachi Richardson game in and game out is to not work so hard on offense. Whether it be in the Iron Mikes’ 63-40 win over Lakewood (11-2) at the Jeff Coney Classic Saturday at Rancocas Valley High School, or come state tournament time, Falchi wants basketball to be basic for the 6-foot-6 senior star.
John Michael Mea scored 19 points, hitting two 3-pointers, and Tyus Battle added 14 to lead Gill St. Bernard’s to a 70-37 victory over Ridge, No. 18 in the NJ.com Top 20, in Gladstone.
Trevon Duval scored 18 points and Eli Cain added 17, hitting three 3-pointers, to lead St. Benedict’s to a 75-61 victory over Pope John, No. 5 in the NJ.com Top 20, in Sparta. Arnaldo Toro had 14 points and Nate Pierre-Lewis added 12 to lead St. Benedict’s, which led 32-24 at halftime. Moustapha Diagne had 18 points, 12 rebounds and four blocks and James Scott added 17 points with six rebounds for Pope John, which suffered just its second loss of the season.
The Lakers, behind 6-foot-7 junior forward Kodye Pugh and 6-3 senior forward Patrick Spencer, have been dominant after a 2-4 start. Pugh is averaging 20 points, 9 rebounds and 4 blocks per game. “He’s probably had 12 to 14 scholarship offers,” Rees said, naming Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Northwestern, Temple and Rice.
Jake Pickard, the 6-5, 230-pound defensive end from Millburn (N.J.), has switched his commitment from Wisconsin to Syracuse amidst coaching changes in Madison. “It was a lot of things,” said Pickard, a member of the NJ.com Top 50. “It was how close they are to home, but what it really boiled down to is the people there and what I think I can accomplish there because the staff is one of the greatest I’ve ever seen.
The Florida Gators hosted several prospects that were committed elsewhere this weekend on official visits. One of those prospects was Oregon State defensive end Keivonnis Davis (6-4, 225, Miami, FL Central) who had a good visit including getting the chance to hang out with some of his good friends. “It went good, real good,” Davis said.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016