CuseNation.com’s Mike McAllister joins hosts Wesley Cheng and Robbie Gillies to talk football and basketball recruiting on The Juice on the Cuse podcast hosted by SNY.tv. The hosts also break down the remainder of the season and SU’s road to the NCAA Tournament.
Here are the highlights from the show:
Wes Cheng: Mike, Thomas Bryant said he’s going to announce his decision in March. Syracuse is actively recruiting him without a scholarship. How does Syracuse make room for Bryant, and do you think any possible upcoming NCAA sanctions will have any effect on his recruitment?
Mike McAllister: Well you have to figure Syracuse is going to recruit him until and unless the NCAA says they’re going to lose scholarships or something of that nature. You would think that if Syracuse were to lose scholarships, next year wouldn’t necessarily be the year that they’d do it because they’ve already had the early signing period. Syracuse already has four players signed. There’s not necessarily a scholarship right now unless someone leaves early or transfers for Thomas Bryant. If Syracuse lost one or two scholarships for next year, the NCAA that continues to tout the fact that they’re ‘always about the student-athlete’ and their best interests, their sanctions would force Syracuse to have to cut two players from the team, or tell players who have signed, ‘Oh, by the way, you have to go find somewhere else to play.’ I think logic dictates that it won’t be for this coming year. The scholarship situation is back to what we originally thought, which means someone is going to have to leave, but that will sort itself out. Because of the history of Syracuse losing a player in the draft or lose a player to transfer, because of that precedent, Syracuse will continue to recruit him hard and they’re not necessarily worried about the NCAA situation. They can’t hold back on their recruitment. At the end of the day, I think Syracuse will be fine in terms of their recruitment with Thomas Bryant.
To subscribe, click the link above and then click VIEW IN iTunes, You will then see a button asking you to subscribe to the podcast.
2. Scout.com’s Mike McAllister calls in
3. Latest with recruits Jake Pickard and Najee Clayton
4. Compare this recruiting class to past years
5. Thomas Bryant situation
6. Robbie Gillies in studio
7. Tough win over Boston College
8. Road to SU making the tourney
9. Thoughts on Jerami Grant and Tyler Ennis
10. Closing Thoughts and Wrap Up
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 76, Boston College 53 - January 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 73, Virginia Tech 83 - January 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Pittsburgh 66 - January 7, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 70, Miami 55 - January 4, 2017
- Kouwe: Syracuse basketball ‘will get better from here’ - January 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 81, Boston College 96 - January 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Cornell 56 - December 27, 2016
- Cornell Big Red — 2016-17 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - December 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, St. John’s 93 - December 21, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Georgetown 78 - December 17, 2016