The Kentucky and Louisville basketball teams are expected to get campus visits soon from five-star junior wing V.J. King, a high-scoring, athletic player from Northern Virginia. After scoring 38 points in a loss Monday at the Spalding HoopHall Classic, the 6-foot-7 King mentioned UK, U of L, North Carolina and Florida as schools he wants to visit this spring. King, the nation’s No. 16 player in 2016, according to ESPN.com, is in his first season at Paul VI High School after moving from Akron, Ohio.
The nightcap of this year’s event features the state’s No. 1-ranked Lions against Wayne, which was eighth in last week’s state poll. The Lions are led by junior post player Nick Ward and junior guard Matt Moyer, who were averaging 19.4 and 15.5 points, respectively, through 11 games. Moyer has committed to Syracuse and Ward has several offers from Division I programs.
Just when it looked like the Prep power may lose to its crosstown rival, sophomore guard Trevon Duval took over. Duval scored 10 of his 22 points in the fourth quarter and also had five rebounds as St. Benedict’s outlasted Newark East Side, 55-43, at Paterson Eastside High School. The victory came just days after the Gray Bees traveled to the MLK Hoop Fest in Washington D.C., where they beat Rainier Beach (Wa.). Nate Pierre-Louis had eight points, nine rebounds and a pair of steals in the victory.
Kodye Pugh might be the second-best class of 2016 recruit in Maryland, according to the 247Sports composite rankings, but the Boys’ Latin (Baltimore) forward has more than the hardwood on his mind. As Pugh has drawn interest from the Terrapins men’s basketball team and earned scholarship offers from several other distinguished programs thanks to his 6-foot-7 frame and polished floor game, he’s also continued to excel in art classes. In fact, Pugh has artwork hanging in the high school’s main lobby, and he designed this year’s student planner.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017