Just as he was looking to get his first collegiate season back on track starting off with four points, a rebound and block in less than the first eight minutes of Sunday night’s 70-57 win over Florida State, Syracuse forward Chris McCullough will miss the remainder of the season after being diagnosed with a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his right knee, according to head coach Jim Boeheim in a statement released by the athletic department Monday afternoon. The line on the game is now 8.5, and you can read more NCAA Basketball news at Sportbet.com.
McCullough fell awkwardly on his right leg and collapsed to the court under the Syracuse basket after receiving a pass from teammate Michael Gbinije midway through the first half against the Seminoles, before being helped to the locker room.
As his numbers had declined over the last seven games, McCullough will finish averaging 9.3 points and 8.6 rebounds, along with 33 blocked shots in his 16 game freshman season.
Boeheim said on Monday’s ACC coaches teleconference that with McCullough out, Sophomore Tyler Roberson would return to the starting lineup when the Orange (12-4, 3-0) host Wake Forest (9-8, 1-3) Tuesday night at the Dome (8:00 ET / ACCN).
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 - September 24, 2016
- Orange Watch: Tough to be patient with Syracuse in world of Power Five - September 20, 2016
- Orange Watch: The top quarterbacks to play against Syracuse in Carrier Dome history - September 13, 2016
- Orange Watch: If “Orange is the new fast” for Syracuse football, keep it coming - September 6, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part II, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part I, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 23, 2016
- Orange Watch: Will new Hall of Famer Marvin Harrison return to Syracuse this season? - August 9, 2016
- Orange Watch: NCAA graduate transfer rule could alter 2016-17 Syracuse basketball - July 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football will benefit from new AD, football coach, Carrier Dome - July 12, 2016
- Syracuse names alum John Wildhack as new athletic director - July 6, 2016