Malachi Richardson converted a pair of pressure-packed free throws with 1:31 to play to tie the game at 58-all before Arnaldo Toro put back his own rebound to put St. Benedict’s back up, 60-58, with 50 seconds to play and send the crowd to their feet as the packed house anticipated a memorable finish. Richardson, who finished with 18 points, converted a nifty scoop shot down the left baseline with 30 seconds left and forced the Grey Bees’ Eli Cain to launch a prayer from long distance that fell up short to force overtime.
Two juniors who could be the most highly rated and highly recruited players out of the class of 2016 have shown exactly why in the John Wall Bracket of the Holiday Invitational Tournament. Thon Maker, a 7-foot-1 star out of Orangeville Prep in Ontario, Canada, has been rated the top player in the class by several recruiting services. Harry Giles, a 6-10, 220-pound forward from High Point Wesleyan, has been closing the gap, according to Clark Francis, of Hoopscooponline.com, who has been following basketball recruiting for 32 years.
This week’s Poster of the Week winner is Orangeville Prep (Ontario, Canada) point guard Jamal Murray for the ferocious poster he collected at the High School OT Holiday Invitational (Raleigh, N.C.) this past weekend in a, 67-63, win over Virginia Episcopal (Lynchburg, Va.). Murray cut down the middle of the lane in transition and his teammate, Thon Maker, whipped a pass to him; from there it all went bad for the Virginia Episcopal defender.
St. Joseph High School basketball junior Breein Tyree has made a smooth transition into the go-to guy after the Falcons graduated four starters from last year’s Tournament of Champions winning team. Tyree has made it clear that he is the No. 1 option for the Falcons. His athletic ability has proven to be crucial for St. Joseph early in the season. “I want the pressure on me this year,” Tyree said. “I want the ball in my hands in tough situations.”
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017