Much has been made about the possible package deal with Jayson Tatum, Harry Giles and Dennis Smith Jr. While it is something that each is highly considering, they’d don’t discuss it often. “We talk about it about twice every month,” Smith Jr. told SNY.tv. “They’re two great players, two of the top ranked players in the country, and they show it every time they play. It would definitely be a plus for me to play with those guys.”
James Scott scored 22 points and Moustapha Diagne added 16 points and grabbed 16 rebounds to lead Pope John, No. 3 in the NJ.com Top 20, to an 80-57 victory over Taylor County (Ky.) in the first round of the Battle at the Villages tournament in The Villages, Florida.
Trenton Catholic is best known for its star power. The Iron Mikes feature Syracuse commit Malachi Richardson, a consensus five-star recruit considered one of the top players in the senior class, as well as junior guard Myles Powell, who also holds a multitude of high major offers. With Floyd, Richardson, and Powell leading the way, Trenton Catholic showed just how good it could be in the first half, getting out to a 24-7 lead with each of the team’s first five buckets coming from a different player. They shot 16-21 from the field in the opening session, with almost every made field goal coming off of an assist.
St. Francis (Fla.) has what’s considered one of the top backcourts in the country, with heavily recruited junior point guard Kobi Simmons and senior shooting guard Malik Beasley, who has signed with Florida State. Beasley had a team-high 17 points on 7-of-12 shooting, Simmons had 12 points and four assists, and Gates had 12 points and six rebounds.
As coveted as Air Jordans are for people all over the world — as made clear by the unreal lines at shoe stores on release day — Wesleyan Christian Academy (High Point, N.C.) forward Harry Giles III dished on a well-known rule amongst elite high school hoopers: No J’s on the hardwood. “Can’t do that,” said Giles, who scored 22 points and grabbed 13 rebounds in the Trojans’ 72-56 victory against Carlisle (Axton, Va.) at the High School OT Holiday Invitational Saturday night.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017