Syracuse will take on Long Beach State on Sunday afternoon in its penultimate non-conference contest. Here is a quick look at the game:
TOUGH NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE: If you think Long Beach State is going to be intimidated by playing against an FBS program with a long basketball tradition, think again. The 49ers have been put through the grinder in their non-conference schedule, including three straight games against ranked teams (No. 18 San Diego State, No. 9 Texas and No. 17 St. John’s). Long Beach State has also played UCLA and Washington, and will close its non-conference schedule against No. 4 Louisville. LBSU came closest against the Aztecs, holding an eight point lead with just over eight minutes left in San Diego before losing by one. Still, the 49ers have quality non-conference wins against Kansas State and Xavier, and will be looking for another against the Orange.
SCOUTING THE 49ERS: Senior guard Mike Caffey comes in averaging a team-high 17.8 points on 50 percent shooting (29-58) from downtown and 50.3 percent shooting from the field. Fellow senior guard Tyler Lamb is the only other player averaging double figures (10.3), but is shooting a career low 38.5 percent from the field and 34 percent from beyond the arc. The 49ers are one of the worst scoring teams in the NCAA, averaging 67.3 ppg (198th) and also struggle with rebounding (33.4 per game, good for 247th).
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse has won all three meetings between these two teams. They last met on Dec. 6, 2012, with SU cruising to a 84-53 win. CJ Fair led SU with 16 and 13 rebounds while Michael Carter-Williams chipped in 15 points and 10 assists.
GAME INFORMATION: Sunday, Dec. 28 at 2 p.m. at the Carrier Dome. TV: ESPNU.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016