Syracuse will take on Long Beach State on Sunday afternoon in its penultimate non-conference contest. Here is a quick look at the game:
TOUGH NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE: If you think Long Beach State is going to be intimidated by playing against an FBS program with a long basketball tradition, think again. The 49ers have been put through the grinder in their non-conference schedule, including three straight games against ranked teams (No. 18 San Diego State, No. 9 Texas and No. 17 St. John’s). Long Beach State has also played UCLA and Washington, and will close its non-conference schedule against No. 4 Louisville. LBSU came closest against the Aztecs, holding an eight point lead with just over eight minutes left in San Diego before losing by one. Still, the 49ers have quality non-conference wins against Kansas State and Xavier, and will be looking for another against the Orange.
SCOUTING THE 49ERS: Senior guard Mike Caffey comes in averaging a team-high 17.8 points on 50 percent shooting (29-58) from downtown and 50.3 percent shooting from the field. Fellow senior guard Tyler Lamb is the only other player averaging double figures (10.3), but is shooting a career low 38.5 percent from the field and 34 percent from beyond the arc. The 49ers are one of the worst scoring teams in the NCAA, averaging 67.3 ppg (198th) and also struggle with rebounding (33.4 per game, good for 247th).
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse has won all three meetings between these two teams. They last met on Dec. 6, 2012, with SU cruising to a 84-53 win. CJ Fair led SU with 16 and 13 rebounds while Michael Carter-Williams chipped in 15 points and 10 assists.
GAME INFORMATION: Sunday, Dec. 28 at 2 p.m. at the Carrier Dome. TV: ESPNU.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017